Thursday, March 29, 2007

Short Story

Day 77

After yesterday's admittedly disappointing events, we are moving forward. We have no choice, but to continue to fight for as long as our hearts, spirits and bodies will last. I love Ann too much to let her go.Let me share a short story with you...

Me and Ann where married in Negril, Jamaica and hours before the wedding disaster nearly struck. We decided to take a Hobie-cat out for a short sail in the morning before returning to prepare for our wedding in the afternoon. I'm not much of sailor and about 500 yards from shore the wind changed direction and capsized us. Ann went one way and I went the other.
I immediately started looking for Ann when I got to the surface I looked around for her. As it dawned on me that I couldn't see her I dove under the upside down cat to see if she was underwater. We had overturned in about 25 feet of water and the cat's sail had turned up the sandy bottom of the bay, I couldn't see much. As I got back to the surface I was beginning to panic.

After I circled the cat once more I looked over my shoulder and I could see the hotel safety boat coming out to check on us. Then as the crest of a wave passed some 70 feet away I could see Ann awkwardly paddling in her red life jacket. She was farther away from the boat than I imagined she could have ever gotten and she was clearly having trouble.

The hotel boat stopped for her 1st and then me. Then the hotel lifeguards righted the cat and we towed it back to shore. When we got to the beach, Ann was shaking and exhausted. I asked her what she was doing so far away from the boat. It turns out she was trying to save our camera which was in a ziploc bag. The current had started to carry her farther and farther away from the boat and she didn't realize how much trouble she was going to have.

That day in those few frantic minutes I realized what my greatest fear was. Now I have to confront it and defeat it. I will not give into it again and I will not let Ann slip away from me a second time...I love her too much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo Chris! With your great amount of love and determination, a solution will reveal itself!

Unknown said...

:)

Anonymous said...

Chris, we may not all know you and Ann. However, we are all fighting with you to make sure your greatest fear is not realized. I know from family experience that you get tired of being told that things will work out and that you are in peoples' prayer's. I just hope that you can take comfort in the fact that there are many of us in Baton Rouge inserting Ann's trial into our conversations and guiding people to her donation site. Looking at your other posts and comments it is obvious that there are many people fighting for Ann right alongside you! We can beat these odds and raise the money.