Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Corrections

The last few days have been rough to say the least. I know Chris is doing his best to keep everyone posted on how I am doing and it's not easy.

So far in my treatment, things have been progressing. I was told to expect bone pain with the neupogen and thus far, it hasn't been unmanageable. I can usually take a darvon and be fine. Monday's bone pain started out like normal, just a little ache. In the midst of everything going on, I didn't think anything of it and let it go longer than I would have normally. By Monday night, the pain in my spine, legs, knees, and ankles was so intense that I couldn't move. Trust me, I have a high threshold for pain, and I have never experienced something so horrible. I tried to ride it out, but Chris prevailed and got me to the emergency room.

I was given an IV drip of morphine which didn't even make the pain flinch. Unfortunately, morphine does make me nauseated. I was subsequently given three bags of dilaudin through my CVC. This didn't so much take care of the pain as it made me unaware of everything else. I was discharged at around 3AM. As soon as I got in the car, I threw up and we were off.

I slept until around 4:30AM when the pain returned and woke me from a dead sleep. We hadn't filled the prescription for the dilaudin pills the night before, so I didn't have anything to help. We returned to the clinic the next morning and were directed back to the ER. The attending physician elected to treat the pain with pills instead of an IV drip. This was disappointing to say the least. The pills take around an hour to kick in when they do. I was given two within two hours. Each time I requested another, I didn't get it. The pills only take the edge off of the pain.

I received a platelet transfusion and was in the ER all day. Overall, just another day at MDAnderson.

I've been taking the pain pills off and on since last night and they make me feel like a broken puppet. None of my parts go together right. My head feels lopsided and all of my joints still ache more than a 32 year old woman's should. I have appointments tomorrow, which should be interesting, since I'm sure I'll be completely incapacitated by the narcotics. I'll try to make more sense tomorrow.

4 comments:

Tina said...

Ann, you know I am always thinking about you. Hang in there, you are doing a great job. I'll call you soon.

T

Anonymous said...

Ann, I went into Harold's today to see you since I have been out of town for 6 weeks; when I did not see you, I asked if I could leave a note. Discreetly, one of the clerks told me your news. Needless to say, I am praying so strongly for you. I told my sister, Anne, and she said to tell you that she is praying and believing with me for your complete healing. Your smile is right in my mind while I am writing this; you are a phenomenal person and you are always SO joyful and happy. Your strength in character will go a long way in this so you KEEP that up. Ann, my sister made it through that awful car accident when her entire right side of body was crushed and she was in a coma with brain injury. She is a living miracle, as stated by her drs....You can and will get through this. Take it, in your mind, one day at a time...just know that you know that you know...See yourself in the palm of God's Hand. I love you and am praying for you. Hang in there and I want to see you back here very soon. Sincerely, Pat McNutt

Unknown said...

Ann - I've been in to see you repeatedly since early January 2 and told many different stories until today. At least now more prayers can start coming your way. You've been on my mind so-o-o-o-o much. This must be why. I haven't had an opportunity to read it all except to say you have one loving husband, :). I MISS YOU and know that you are loved by many. You are in my prayers as is your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann,

Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you. You seem to have such a positive attitude and I truly think that it helps you get better each day! It helped me a lot too.
Katie Nelson