Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Minor excitement

Day 69

Well, Mr. Clark was out roping steers again. It really is great to see that he's feeling well enough to practice roping.













We had a minor emergency today. While Chris was doing my heparin flushes--this is a procedure where he injects my lumens with a small amount of blood thinner to keep them clear, he encountered a blockage. This means that there is a blood clot in the line. We went to the hospital to have it taken care of. The nurse at the infusion clinic was very nice and she had it fixed in no time. She also changed my dressing, since it had started to come undone. I didn't even notice, which is rather remiss of me, since I need to keep my CVC covered for health reasons. If it gets infected, I'll have to postpone treatments until the infection clears up. I suppose that I've had it for so long, that I don't even think about it anymore. That's a strange thought considering I have two silicone lines dangling out of my chest.

Since we were at the hospital, we stopped by the gynecologist to have my luperon shot administered. It was really nice to see Dr. Keeler. She's always upbeat and it's nice to be around people like that when you're having to deal with treatments all day. She was very positive about how I was responding to the luperon and our fingers are crossed that it does the trick. I honestly have to say that I'd rather undergo temporary menopause versus having my ovaries removed and replaced in my arm or leg. I know it sounds squeamish, but I just can't bend my mind around having an internal organ implanted in one of my extremities. I know it's done all of the time, and I'm just being a weenie.

After all of the excitement, we had lunch and returned home. Mr. Clark was still roping the mini steer when we got back. He said that he was returning to his ranch for a visit this weekend. I have to admit that I was a little jealous. I miss everyone and I'd like to come home for a visit. My blood counts are plummeting from the last round of chemo, so I know that Dr. Thomas would veto anything involving leaving the state. We're still waiting to hear about the stem cell transplant. Everyone cross your fingers and hope that things turn out for the best. I'd like to come home before the end of the year, healthy and whole.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, you are a top contender for Oscar Mayer. However, I would be also. I like that roping dude..."a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do" (john wayne) And to you coming home healthy and whole. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... temporary menopause or ovaries in the leg? I think I'm with you on that one! And let me just say for the record that "weenie" is the LAST word I'd use to describe you! Praying for good news regarding your stem cell transplant. Have a great today!

Anonymous said...

I'd rather have ovaries in my leg than my arm but the thought of either makes me want to puke. I feel like they should stay where they're supposed to go but maybe you'll develop some sort of super power.

Anonymous said...

Ann, you're many things, but I've known you too many years to accept "weenie!" Still praying, still hoping!

Wiley+