Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Settling In

I think I'm going to ditch the "Day X" start for each post. My brain is so scatter-shot worrying about other things that I'm having a fair amount of trouble remembering what day of the week it is much less how long we have been here. When Ann gets to her next transplant I'll pick it up again, but for now it's getting a rest.

On to today's news:

Ann is out of the hospital and we spent the majority of the day checking her out and moving to the charity apartment. That included buying groceries for an on-the-fly-easy-to-make-minimal-clean-up menu, picking up the essentials like thermometers and personal stuff we didn't leave Baton Rouge with cause who knew we would end up here again. However, I did find time to stop in at the Stem Cell Transplant office and talk to the business reps.

I made sure that they had a copy of our new insurance and let them know that our doctor expressed and interest in moving as fast as possible. The reps are going to get something called an EOC (Estimate of Charges) from the doctor and then send it straight to the insurance company so that they can release funds for a new donor search. I got the impression that these inital steps would not take long to do, but I don't have a specific time line for them.

The rest of our day was uppacking our few possessions, collecting receipts and trying to make ourselves comfortable (more or less) in foriegn surroundings. I have been managing to "borrow" a WiFi connection from someone in the apartment complex who doesn't know what a WEP key is. I feel a little bad about it as he/she is proably wondering why their internet connecton is so slow. But based on how WiFi works and the amount of transcievers packed into modern computers, I can't be the only one doing it either.

I have been getting a bunch of emails about the NTAF Fund. Let me take a moment to address them as well as the comments left here on the blog:

Yes, the NTAF account is still open. If you want to make a donation to help with medical expenses (prescription copays, over the counter meds MDA's pharmacy doesn't stock, insurance payments, etc) then you can follow the link on the blog (right sidebar near the big infinity, heart and gear symbol) and make a donation and it will be much appreciated. However, I'm grateful that you, loyal reader, found us interesting enough to merit the time out of your busy day it takes to read about, the hopes, love, fear and lives of people you have never met. I can't ask for anything more.

Thank you for letting us know we are not alone, that's more than generous.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi ann

yey!i'm the first to comment here.again i want to wish both of u the very best in ur another ALL journey.

u've got chris by ur side and i believe both of u can smack all the obstacle down.

ml

Anonymous said...

Ann and Chris, I don't remember how I found you...some Baton Rouge connection I am sure...but I just wanted to say that I check on y'all daily. I now live in The Woodlands, so I share Texas with y'all too (we are originally from Baton Rouge). I am praying for your health. I know you will kick this leukemia!

Claire in TX

PriestessT said...

Ann and Chris,

I found you on the lls discussion boards and have been inspired by your love and tenacity (sometimes I hate when people call it "courage" because I personnally don't feel particularly courageous having to fight for my life, but I do intend to continue to fight day-by-day.

You are in my thoughts and prayers on a daily basis. Keep up the fight. Also, if you have a list of things you still need or would like, please consider posting it. I would certainly be willing to send anything I can - kitchen utensils, pots and pans, towels, specific books or music...whatever. It would be a blessing to me to be able to do whatever I can.

Love and Strength--

Tammy Hart
http://ahh-life.blogspot.com

Wiley said...

No, Chris and Ann, you are absolutely NOT alone. We hold you in ou rthoughts and prayers daily, and the phoneline is always open to you.

Anonymous said...

I don't know you personally, but I am sending good thoughts your way! Thanks for keeping us strangers posted on your progress.

-Jennifer

Mabyn Shingleton said...

I feel your pain and heartache. Know that there are many people who love you both and only want the best for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

On an ending note, let me add a quote. "My wife's water sign. I'm an earth sign. Together we make mud."

I think ya'll make great mud. :) The quote was by Rodney Dangerfield.