Sunday, July 20, 2008

I've been taking steroids since Thursday to protect my heart from all of the outpatient chemo that I've been receiving. I know that I have to have it, but taking 20 pills in one sitting everyday is starting to grind on me. These are in addition to all of the other pills that I have to take. The steroids are making me extremely high strung and jittery. The other morning I was zooming around the apartment and slipped on a patch of carpet, scraping my knee in the process.

Not good. With my platelets being so low and my immune system existing as a mere rumor, I could get into all sorts of trouble. Chris was a little upset to say the least. I've managed to make myself move more slowly in an effort not to kill myself in some horrendous household mishap, like stabbing myself with a stick of butter in a moment of inattention.

Another side effect to the whole steroid thing is that I'm absolutely exhausted from all of the activity, but I can not sleep. Over the course of 3 days, I managed a total of 7 hours cumulatively. I know this happens to most everyone taking this drug. Given my stubborn constitution, I thought I could tough it out, but I reached my breaking point yesterday.

While in lab reviews, I asked the nurse if he could give me something to sleep. He couldn't, but he did page my doctor to ask her to call something in. She was doing in patient rounds, but promised to email in an order. Four hours later, the pharmacy still didn't have anything. I think it had more to do with the weekend than anything else. By the time we left clinic, there was still no prescription. I was so sick of waiting around that I just decided to tough it out for another night.

Of course, it didn't hurt that I knew that Dixie and Chris's uncle Wayne were coming in with a lot of the things that we needed, including the rest of my medicines. One of these is an antiemetic that I'm allowed to have which has a side benefit of putting me to sleep.

Wayne and Dixie could only be here for a few hours, but it was so nice to see them. They brought extra clothes and all of the other things that we'll probably need for the next little bit. So here we are, settling in and hoping for the best.

I managed to get 7 hours of sleep last night and a nap today. I still feel like I could sleep for another 24 hours.

Tomorrow we have an appointment with my transplant doctor. I'm hoping for some good news, or at least an action plan that keeps up moving forward.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

helo

nora, ml's fren here.she bookmarked your site, so i visit. i think you are annbetss from the forum? anyway, i wish you all the best in this journey.

Anonymous said...

nora again

"Not good. With my platelets being so low and my immune system existing as a mere rumor, I could get into all sorts of trouble. Chris was a little upset to say the least. I've managed to make myself move more slowly in an effort not to kill myself in some horrendous household mishap, like stabbing myself with a stick of butter in a moment of inattention."

don't kill yourself.i've lost a fren.go slow ok?take care

pj said...

Thanks for the laugh, Ann. I guess with low platelets even a stick of butter can be dangerous. Glad you got some much-needed rest. Do be careful.

Susan Carrier said...

Ann, you are very funny. I just read that famous Hapa Ann Curry recently did a stand-up comedy routine to overcome her fear of public speaking. I think you should join her.

Can't wait to hear the good news after you meet with your transplant doctor tomorrow. I'm hoping it might even produce a beardless Chris.

PriestessT said...

Anne--

Keep thinking positive and know that others in the universe are sending you healing thoughts.

My husband and I have the same "push-pull" relationship. I am always trying to push myself a little harder and he is always trying to remind me that I am not supposed to be pushing too hard. I can see that Chis loves you a lot. I am praying for him too.

With Love and Blessings--
Tammy