Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Writing under the influence

Day +147

I'm currently tanked up to high heaven on pre-meds for Rituxan. Nurses hung a bag of benadryl about 10 minutes ago and I'm desperately fighting the urge to pass out. I get pre-meds because the doctors don't want my system to do anything cute while I'm getting infused. As you'll all recall, I got the chills and fever with my last dose. My nurse has reassured me repeatedly that I shouldn't have such a dramatic reaction the second time. Considering that I continue to be in the top percentile for strange cancer happenings, I'm not so sure.

My hair has begun to curl in the back leading to a myriad mullet jokes from my beloved husband. It's funny to think that I have pseudo-curly hair after a lifetime of straight as a pin, baby fine hair. It's still baby fine, but it screams business in the front and party in the back. All of my luxurious baby mink eyelashes have fallen out, leaving me with the same old sparse blinkers that I started adulthood with. Sigh. My eyebrows can still give Abe Vigoda (Fish from Barney Miller) a run for his money. I really need to do something about that.

We continue to be in the dark about my bone marrow aspiration and biopsy. Today is a clinic day for the transplant doctors, so I don't think that I'll see Dr. Anderlini until later this afternoon. My fingers are crossed that I don't have any marrow or CNA involvement with the PTLD. My life has refined down to a series of abbreviations and I'm not liking it.

My appetite continues to improve slowly. I now get hungry and can manage to eat a small meal without immediately revisiting it. I had stomach cramps for the better part of yesterday, but I think that has something to do with all of the drainage that I'm experiencing. Let's hope the necrotic mass in my sinus cavity is dissolving thanks to the Rituxan. I'll have a CT scan either Wednesday or Thursday. My night nurse seemed to think that it would be Wednesday, clearing me for discharge on Thursday. Just because things have been moving so slowly, I'm betting on Monday.

A nurse just hand delivered a care package stuffed with fun goodies. To the mystery person that sent it, thank you. You've made my week and I can't wait to start coloring! This means so very much to me and I can't thank you enough for bringing a little fun into this tiny beige cubicle.

On that note, I'm off to color and defend the chex mix from Chris. :)

2 comments:

Carilou said...

I tried to leave a comment for your friend Dale but apparently I need a gmail account. I can't believe the two of you and how tough you are. I'm such a wuss I'd be constantly whining. I'd like to see an Inouye/Gregory ticket in the next election. Maybe somethig would finally get done.

Susan Carrier said...

My new crop of hair is also doing strange things with lots of curling and swirling. I feel like a Kewpie Doll, but my friend Mary said I had a "faux-hawk," a wannabe mohawk.

Susan