Thursday, August 7, 2008

Why on earth would I be up at 5 AM blogging? My magnesium was low yesterday and I had to have a take home IV of it. Actually, my PA was going to schedule it in one of the transfusion units, which would have meant hours of waiting to get in, then hours of waiting to get out. I batted my big brown eyes and asked her for a take home intermate bottle. When she was sure that we knew how to operate it, she agreed. Suffice it to say that Chris and I were pleased to be getting out of MDA early.

Whenever I have to have magnesium intravenously, I suffer a few interesting side effects. They do not come on immediately and at the moment, I've only had to have 2 outpatient infusions, so I always forget what's coming. A few hours after the 3 or 4 hour infusion finishes, I start to get really hot. It's not like when you step outside in Louisiana in July on a sunny afternoon. It's more a sensation of someone having set the inside of your skin on fire. The strange thing is that sometimes it can be in isolated spots.

Right before bed the top of my head started to feel hot. Normally, I would just crank the A/C down for relief. Chris was feeling under the weather, which meant that he was also feeling cold, so the A/C stayed well above 75 degrees, because I didn't want to freeze the poor guy out. I went to bed and pretty much fell asleep instantly. Two hours later I was awake feeling hot. I managed to fall back asleep, but every 2 hours thereafter, I would wake up for a few minutes because I was hot. When I woke up a few minutes before 5 this morning, I just gave in and got up. This means I'll be cranky/wanting a nap while waiting to get admitted. Good times. Luckily, there is a nap room at MDA--genius! Unfortunately, people don't know how to use their inside voices when there.

The last time I was in the nap room, I was lucky enough to snag a couch. I stretched out and started to sleep when a couple took up residence in the recliners next to me. I can sleep anywhere under most conditions, but this couple started to bicker in the way long time couples sometimes can in voices you would use to be heard in a noisy venue. The man wasn't feeling well which I think contributed to the situation--trust me, I fully sympathize, and his wife kept harassing him every few minutes about whether or not he wanted (fill in the blank). As an adult, I'm sure he would have asked for it if he did and under normal circumstances I would have sympathized with his wife. She didn't know what to do, so she was trying everything to help. I get it, but when it's nap time, I'm like a 3 year old. I ended up knitting while waiting for the next appointment. They were still at it when I eventually left.

Tangential stories aside, I plan on sleeping in public today. If you happen to be in clinic waiting with me, I'll be the short, bald woman in the corner, snoring like champ. That's right, I snore. Very loudly.

I need to go get ready for blood draws and other appointments. Cross your fingers that I finally get admitted for round 2 today. Now that I have a tentative transplant date, I don't want anything within my control to delay it. Okay, so I don't really have any control over my recovering liver, but I like to think that I do.

1 comment:

Susan C said...

Bald?!?

I hope you're reading this comment from your luxury suite at MDA.