Tuesday, August 19, 2008

All of our appointments ran on time today, which left me a little flummoxed. My numbers are where they were expected to be, with my wbc count so low that they didn't bother to do a differential count. My magnesium was low, so I got to take home an intermate infusion. My phosphorous is high, so I've been encouraged to get more fluids in.

This morning's blood draw was a little unnerving as I had to give 16 vials of blood. I haven't had to give that many since my new patient work up last year. Although I do have a picc line in my right arm, I have to give samples the old fashioned way for particular tests. This means that I have the most attractive needle marks near the creases of my elbows. I often wonder if years from now, I'll make up some sordid story about how I acquired them, a la Roger from American Dad.

My heart rate was significantly elevated when my vitals were taken this morning, which alarmed Chris. It was somewhere in the 140 range. The nurse waited a few minutes, then checked it again and it dropped down to 120. I normally fall between 88 and 100. Our doctor explained that it's not unusual considering the chemo I've been given and the steroids, etc. Being anemic can also cause this to happen. Who, me?

I'm just a little tired today, but otherwise feel like myself.

8 comments:

Susan C said...

So glad to hear you're holding up and feeling like yourself in spite of all the assaults on your body and blood.

Love, Susan

Anonymous said...

Ann-

Oh my goodness you are a warrior and are keeping those doctors on their feet!

Let me know if you have a mailing address- for the next few weeks.

You are doing great and I know with such low numbers you are not feeling "great". I love the updates and just know they are tearing those leukie cells to shreds!
-Lea
www.caringbridge.org/visit/leamorrison

Anonymous said...

Thank you for daily updates, my daughter has Acute Biphenotypic Leukemia which means she has 2/3 AML and 1/3 All. She is 22 and also just finished ara/c chemo. She is scheduled to be readmitted Sept.12 for conditioning chemo and TBI (total body irradiation) and an unrelated 9 out of 10 bone marrow transplant on Sept. 18. You two are having things happen close to the same time. I will keep reading your blog for your updates, which I am sure will be all great news. Our best wishes to you and Chris during this season of your journey. Our prayers are with you, Lisa and Lyndsay Nishioka

Anonymous said...

Thank you for daily updates, my daughter has Acute Biphenotypic Leukemia which means she has 2/3 AML and 1/3 All. She is 22 and also just finished ara/c chemo. She is scheduled to be readmitted Sept.12 for conditioning chemo and TBI (total body irradiation) and an unrelated 9 out of 10 bone marrow transplant on Sept. 18. You two are having things happen close to the same time. I will keep reading your blog for your updates, which I am sure will be all great news. Our best wishes to you and Chris during this season of your journey. Our prayers are with you, Lisa and Lyndsay Nishioka

Anonymous said...

Thank you for daily updates, my daughter has Acute Biphenotypic Leukemia which means she has 2/3 AML and 1/3 All. She is 22 and also just finished ara/c chemo. She is scheduled to be readmitted Sept.12 for conditioning chemo and TBI (total body irradiation) and an unrelated 9 out of 10 bone marrow transplant on Sept. 18. You two are having things happen close to the same time. I will keep reading your blog for your updates, which I am sure will be all great news. Our best wishes to you and Chris during this season of your journey. Our prayers are with you, Lisa and Lyndsay Nishioka

Anonymous said...

oooops!!!!! Sorry it showed up 3 times. I'm new at this....I'm so sorry. Lisa

Ann said...

No worries, Lisa. I still do it. :)

Wiley+ said...

Hey, Ann & Chris! I've jsut updated myself on your blog! It's grea tto see that you're keeping them on their toes! Fight the good fight, kiddo! We're thinkign of y'all.

Wiley+