Sunday, August 3, 2008

I just wanted to post to let everyone know that there's absolutely nothing going on. Our next appointment isn't until Tuesday and it's very early in the morning. If all goes well and my liver enzymes have sufficiently calibrated to normal, or close to, I should be getting admitted to the hospital for round two. I have to admit to being a little anxious about the blasts in my peripheral blood counts. I'd be rather pleased if they disappeared since they really shouldn't be there. It's just the thought that if they continue to go up, that means something distasteful and cancery. No thanks.

I did forget to mention that we ran into Aubry and Kelly while roaming the halls of MDA, waiting for my transfusion on Thursday. For those of you who don't remember, Aubry was a leukemia patient at the same time as me the first time around. If you go way back, you'll see pictures of him roping a tiny brass steer. He had a transplant late last year. The same kind I did and he looks amazing. He's got a bit of skin GvHD that he's contending with and we swapped tips and tricks for dealing with it. It was just really good to see them and hear that he's getting closer to normal and able to do some of the things he loves on his ranch. Kelly's keeping a close eye on him, so I'm sure he won't be getting into any trouble anytime soon.

So, aside from making chili, I'm laying low. I did have an "Aha!" moment today and figured out why everything tastes so weirdly sweet. When I have something with an artificial sweetener in it, it taints every single thing that I eat for the rest of the day. So, I've cut out the fake stuff and have made a few modifications. Everything still tastes weirdly sweet, but not as badly as before. I also can't taste umami, which makes me very sad. I live for it. It's like people who crave salt or sweet. I'm hoping it doesn't last for very long, because until it resolves, everything tastes like sweet library paste.

One last thing. My friend, Susan, is suffering with a mystery illness and it's got her sidelined. She's undergoing the usual battery of tests, but until they figure out what's going on, she could use some positive thoughts and prayers.


Nancy said...

OOOOH, I remember not being able to taste anything but sweet stuff when I was in the hospital, too! It's very strange and annoying!!!Sorry, you have to go through it.

I'm hoping that your peripheral blasts are gone and also that your liver enzymes go back to normal by Tuesday. In the meantime, rest my dear. You certainly deserve it!
love, n

Susan C said...

Ahhh. . . thanks so much for the concern and the shout-out, Ann.

I'm with you on the umami flavor. I could give up sweets, but don't deprive me of umami. As a matter of fact, I just finished an ume onigiri (rice wrapped around a sour plum, surrounded by seaweed).

Here's hoping that all systems are go on Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Well, everything tastes sweet to me too with this bun in the oven. May I recommend snacking on wasabi peas. Absolutely no nutritional value but the salty and horseradish give me an Asian food fix but not quite umami.

Tina said...

I like that delicious korean seaweed that's fried, I think..and seasoned. mmmmm, I think I'll gorge on it when I get home.

That's weird that artificial sweetener would hang around on your tastebuds like that all day. Kinda creepy. I never did like those pink or blue fake sugars.

Jennifer said...

Don't take this the wrong way. I hope you are admitted tomorrow to start on treatment two.

My taste buds make everything taste like metal/tin. Not that I go around eating metal.

Good luck tomorrow - I hope your liver enzymes normalize tonight if they have not already!