Friday, August 15, 2008

Hooray! I managed to only wake up once last night and was able to go right back to sleep. I slept in until 8:30 which is a record for the last two weeks. Naps are a different story. I can manage 30 minutes before popping awake. I would have killed for this ability in college when sleep was in short supply and you had to get it where you could. Now I have the luxury and the need for naps, but not the ability. There are worse things.

I've been out of the hospital since Monday, but have been continued on steroid drops on my eyes due to the Ara-c issues that I have. Since this was an even round of modified Hyper C-VAD, I received Ara-c, also known as Cytaribine. Last year I developed the worse case of Ara-c toxicity of the eyes that my opthamologist had ever seen. My eyes sealed shut and I was unable to see for a little more than two weeks. My leukemia doctor only wanted me on the steroid drops for 7 days. I've done this route. Temporary blindness ensues.

The Pharm-D in the hospital looked up Dr. Kim's notes and she'd had me on the drops 4 times a day for 7 days, then twice a day for 7 days. Today my eyes got that familiar dry, gritty, you've been sprinkling your eyeballs with powdered glass feeling. I've been religiously using natural tears to irrigate my eyes, but I suspect the little bottle I was prescribed has preservatives in it. They dry your eyes out eventually. Chris made a run to the drugstore to get individual preservative free drops. They're doing a much better job. I'm just going to keep towing the line and hope for the best.

I have labs tomorrow and a nurse review. If things go as they have in the past, we'll be there all day due to technical difficulties. That's fine. It's better than being attached to an IV pole with your underwear hanging out of the back of a badly fitting gown, while being force fed saline.

Chris is having some computer problems, so we might not update while we're in clinic tomorrow, but we'll have something up by the next day.

No comments: