Sunday, June 8, 2008

Day +374

Still here and still coughing.

I am feeling more like myself and the cough is mostly due to post nasal drip. It's most prominent in the morning and at night. In fact, I've been waking up a few times a night in the midst of a coughing fit.

Chris is upset that I can't take a really deep breath without having to cough. I keep trying to explain that a really deep breath tickles my throat, triggering a cough in response. It's not because my lungs hurt, or can't fill to capacity, it just feels like I've swallowed a bag full of hair clippings.

During times like these, the internet is not your friend. I actually wouldn't mind if it went down until this cough clears up. Maybe just the medical sites. I have been recited all of the different ailments that a non-productive wet cough could be. Hunta virus, anyone? How about bronchitis? Pneumonia? Here's my absolute favorite: the common cold. Not that! Anything but that.

Yes, I'm cranky. You would be too, if you felt like the lens of a microscope was only seconds away from swooping in on you. I'm sick of all the long faces. I know I'm not being fair, and that the people closest to me just want me to be well because they love me. I'm just one of those crazy solitary people who likes to be left alone while recuperating. I've always been like that. Being babied has always made me feel claustrophobic and I tend to lash out because of it. There, now you know my dark secret: I'm imperfect.

Chris talked to one of the nurses at my local office and the cultures that were taken at the hospital have all come up negative. We may never actually know what caused this little hiccup, but if it looks like a duck and it sounds like a duck, then it's probably a cold.

My temperatures are a little closer to normal and only fluctuate between 98.4-99.5. I don't know what this is, but I'm determined that it won't sideline me for very much longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a cold. A summer cold which is the ickiest kind. I am so thankful that we're all worried that you have a cold. Good Lawd. That's a relief from this time last year.
-Carilou