Sunday, May 20, 2007

Transplant Mobilization Begins Tomorrow

Day 128 (D -10)

Tomorrow Ann goes into the hospital to begin mobilization chemotherapy in advance of the transplant. For the next 7 days (D -9 through D -2) she will be confined to the 11th floor of M. D. Anderson (The Stem Cell Transplant Floor), while the immune system she was born with is destroyed. Then she will be allowed to rest for two days (D -2 and D -1), to recover from the effects of the chemo. Then on the 30th (D -0) she will receive her new stem cells in three sequential intravenous transfusion. Each transfusion should take between 15 minutes to half an hour. So the transplant will take a total of about one and a half hours.

Afterwords we are waiting for engraftment and any emergence of GvHD or infections.

I'm scared out of my mind...

After having fought so long and hard to get Ann to this point I definitely have that sinking feeling. Kind of a "be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it". I'm stabilizing my panic by remembering that Ann's chances without the CBT are below 10% and between 30 to 50% with it. Ann has been cool as a cucumber, until two days ago when the reality of it began setting it. She is taking her mind off of it by planning her packing list and knitting. In fact she has manufactured three scarves in the last two days.

I have been advised by the Doctor's and Nurses at MDA in the strongest possible way to bring in a second caregiver in to help take care of Ann. So we will be welcoming a newcomer to the blog soon. I called one of Ann's best friends in the world, Laren. After I explained to her what we needed she agreed and will be arriving around the beginning of June. Laren is bright, sunny and most importantly funny. Ann describes her a "vibrant". I really think that those qualities will really help carry Ann through this.

I'm signing off until tomorrow. We are going to finish packing and try to spend sometime together.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Ann, This is it! You can totally do this! Just take a deep breath and make that mental commitment to be tough and stay positive. There will be bumps in the road... know in your mind and convince yourself that you know these bumps are temporary. Tell your doctors everything! The more information, the better. They know what to do! Use the Nike Slogan: JUST DO IT! I'm here for you if you need anything. Good Luck! love, Nancy

Unknown said...

We love you both and will welcome Laren. Ann sounds like a knitting fool! My kind of woman (not the knitting part - just the fool) :) Ann, I'm jealous of your eyebrows growing back. You know... everyone's don't do that! I'm such an old fart now that mine are faint IF even there! Past all the laughs and honest observations, you are on our prayer list constantly with a candle burning continually. So, be strong that candle cost $3. :)

Unknown said...

We love you both and will welcome Laren. Ann sounds like a knitting fool! My kind of woman (not the knitting part - just the fool) :) Ann, I'm jealous of your eyebrows growing back. You know... everyone's don't do that! I'm such an old fart now that mine are faint IF even there! Past all the laughs and honest observations, you are on our prayer list constantly with a candle burning continually. So, be strong that candle cost $3. :)