Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Day 110

Today was tremendously busy. We started the day out meeting with the stem cell clinic's social worker to sign consent forms. I can't even remember the number of times I signed my name or initialed next to something. The one interesting thing I remember is signing a consent so that the NMDP could have a sample of my blood. It's a very elite club to be joining. They're tracking blood cancers. They get left-over marrow from biopsies, too. Ooky.

I got to see my transplant doctor next. I need to make an aside before I talk about the visit. When I woke up this morning, the big toe on my left foot was a little red and hurt when touched or any pressure was put on it. I have a long and varied history with ingrown toenails. It's gross, I know. I've had two surgeries to help correct it and was planning on scheduling another before I was diagnosed. I told Dr. Alousi's physician's assistant about it and she insisted that Dr. Alousi see it. They're worried about an infection, so I now have an appointment with a podiatrist. Chris and I joked that my downfall would be something as silly as an ingrown toenail. We shouldn't have invited trouble. I have to have this cleared up before I can move forward.
Dr. Alousi said that the CBT would probably take place in as short as two weeks.

Two weeks is a scary proposition when you think of it. I was a little shocked when he said it. I'll start mega doses of neupogen on Friday. It will be three times the dosage that I normally get injected with. On Monday, I'll be getting a new port placed in my chest so that they can harvest my white blood cells to use in case I don't engraft properly.

I met my research nurse during this visit, as well. She gave me a time table for the chemo that they'll be using for conditioning. They are using some very scary chemicals. Chris thought that I'd be doing total body irradiation. I'm glad that I'm doing chemo. The radiation wreaks havoc on your brain. No thanks. I'm already suffering from learning disabilities from the chemo regimen. It's funny, but in the beginning when I worried about this side effect possibly affecting me, my friend Joe said, "You're smart enough." It still makes me laugh. I'll do seven days of chemo followed by two days of rest and then I get my new cells. I still can't believe it.

I had an EKG after this. We had to wait one hour and fifteen minutes for this appointment. The EKG took less than five minutes. This put me off for the rest of the day. The next appointment was an interview to discuss my new port placement. When they put in my original port, I was so high from all of the medication that they gave me, I don't even remember it. The description of the new procedure made me a little queasy. They're going to pull out my old port and insert a guide wire to find the big vein leading into my heart in order to place the new port. I was told to let the technician know if this hurt. I can't wait. I'm debating on whether or not to eat before this one, because I sincerely do not want to throw up on myself during this one.

The last appointment was not my favorite. I knew that I was on the board for a bone marrow aspiration. Turns out that I was also down for a bone biopsy too. This involves punching out a piece of my hip bone to analyze. The technician that performed both procedures was a very petite woman. She might have weighed one hundred pounds. When you're having this procedure done, you want a guy who looks like they live at the gym when they aren't at work. I had that guy the first time I had an aspiration and biopsy. No pain. It was wonderful. I almost asked for the procedure to stop three separate times. It was excruciating. I'm not generally a baby when it comes to pain. She had to go in a three different angles because she kept straying out of the area that had been anesthetized. Imagine an enormous punch going into your hip bone below an area that hasn't been hit with lidocaine. My bum hurts. Chris reminded me that I still had darvon and I am grateful.

We got back to the apartment after 6pm. We have a full day tomorrow, as well. I can't even remember what we're doing. It's like riding the tea cup rides. At least we're in the home stretch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! Definitely a full day. Sounds like a good nights sleep is in order! Good luck with tomorrow's events.

Anonymous said...

I know that this might be a personal question, but now that Harolds approved the transplant, does that mean that you guys are going to be able to keep your house? I found your blog through Facebook and have been following for some time now, and donated at the NTAF as well. Know that people over in Dallas you don't even know are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ann & Chris,

Tina keeps me up to speed on both of you I'm pulling for you Ann from the Republic of Georgia. All the girls (Nana, Irina, Maya)and guys (Glen, Igor, Dato and Gia)who work with me in this former Soviet Republic have learned about you thru the reports I get from Tina. You don't know them but they know about you and are with you in spirit as I am. Love, Tina's Dad

Anonymous said...

I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia.
,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.