Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Reborn

Day 0 (D 138)

Today I laid out millions of virtual juice boxes and cookies to entice the new baby stemcells to want to stay. Chris imagines the new cells to be kindergartners on their first day of school. He joked about one of the left over rabbit ATG cells being the class pet.

I received my transplant in three stages. Before each dose, I was given steroids and benadryl. I spent the entire day fighting sleep because of the pre medication. With the first bag of stem cells, I lost the ability to regulate my body temperature. I've been wrapped in blankets ever since.

With the second bag of stem cells, I developed a strange taste in my mouth. The transplant team provided me with mints in case this happened. I don't know if Chris or I have ever talked about it, but the preservative that stabilizes the stem cells smells like creamed corn or olive brine. Well, this odor transfers to the transplant patient. The inside of my mouth tastes like stale creamed corn. It's really disgusting. I ordered applesauce for dinner and for some reason, it tasted like canned meat. Eating was already an ordeal to begin with. Now I smell like creamed corn and the only thing that I can keep down is canned pears. I feel like a really bad movie plot.

I can honestly say that I couldn't be happier. It's been an amazing ordeal and I know the days ahead are going to be rough. I still have to engraft and we have to be sure that none of my old cells rear their ugly heads. There is CMV to be worried about. I have to stay infection free and start making healthy marrow. I can't wait.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd rather smell like creamed corn and be able to eat canned pears than vice versa!

Anonymous said...

Ann’s new marrow has now been born!
Even if her tongue tastes of creamed corn.

Why can’t applesauce be chocolate mousse?
Or milkshakes and Jello: farm-stand produce?

Oh! Engraft, Engraft you baby stem cell!
And give that disease its final farewell.

Our girl is busy she has her life to restart
It’s time for the cancer to go and depart.

so that Ann and Chris can do what they want.
To live like a prince and sweet debutante.

Unknown said...

I cannot believe there are so many things hanging off that pole! My goodness! Well, onto the future. :) Hope your days are sunny.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Ann & Chris, I'm so glad you finally got to this day!

Joe.Karen said...

we are rooting and praying for you!!!!!! HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! i love that you laid out a million virtual juice boxes and cookies. that is really fun. how cute are you?
your IV pole looks a lot fancier and sleeker than joe's. it must be the rolls royce of iv poles! have you named it yet?

love,
karen & joe

Tina said...

too bad you didn't get the olive brine taste. you could just swish some gin around in your mouth, and voila, instant martini!

happy birthday, plus one day. see you soon!!!