Monday, May 28, 2007

Delayed Reactions

Day 136 (D -2)

Two more days until Ann gets her new bags of "baby jelly" as she calls it. She is excited at the prospect of getting a second chance at living. I have to confess I oscillate between stark terror and willful glee. Luckily on days like today it is easier to be more of the later than the former.

Today started off like it was going to hardcore suck. Ann woke up swollen, puffy and with bright red eyes. Those of you who have been with us for a while will remember Ann's reaction to Cytarabine and how it temporarily blinded her because of her unusually strong reaction to it. Dr. Alousi, Ann's transplant Doctor, started doing rounds this week and got to examine her in person. He pronounced the puffiness fluid retention (1.5 L extra) and the eyes were a delayed reaction to the Rabbit ATG. He assured Ann that it will not get any worse and should wear off in a day or two.

If the fluid retention continues then Ann will get lasix to kick her bladder into overdrive. However her blood counts have fully bottomed out today (WBC 0.1 K/uL, PLTS 10 K/uL RBC 2.4 K/uL) signifying the death of her "factory installed" bone marrow. That makes her transfusion dependent, meaning that every day from now until after the transplant and her new bone marrow starts functioning as required, she will need to get transfusions of red blood cells and platelets.

That may sound a bit depressing, but things are looking up. Ann's appetite is staging a come back. She almost ate a whole piece of pizza, which is also a continuing theme from her first few rounds of chemo. I think the it's the breadiness of the crust that makes it easy for her to get it down.

I know that there are rough times ahead, but here is to hoping that tomorrow continues to be uneventful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog since I saw a link on The Advocate a few months ago and I amazed at your courage Ann. You and Chris are so lucky to have one another. I wish you the best during this difficult time. You both certainly have the right attitude and determination to beat this disease. Leslie in BR.

Nancy said...

You Go Girl! You can totally do this. Transfusions are going to be just part of your day for awhile. Remember, I had over 200 transfusions last year! (Due to unforeseen complications) I think you can do it in under 75! Hey, let's start a pool! : ) just kidding. Hang in there. I'm thinking of you every single day!Call me anytime! love, nancy

Anonymous said...

Ann - Many people are keeping up with your progress. Your spirit is remarkable! Hoping today is a good day for you.

Unknown said...

"Many people are keeping up with your progress"...Boy is that an understatement. :)

Anonymous said...

Ann,
I've been out of town for a few weeks but just sat down and caught up on your progress....you and Chris are so brave. I'm praying for you, as are tons of folks in BR. Thanks for such detailed updates. Hang in there!
Love Martha Stroh.