This lady is the phlebotomist (person who collects blood samples). She is from Ethiopia and is very sweet and nice. She always manages to be perky, which is hard to do considering the number of patients she as to draw blood from in the early morning. It's not unusual for her to have 40 to 50 patients lined up waiting to get stuck or give a blood sample. In the picture you can also see her pulling blood from Ann's CVC.
Normally after Miriam sees us we wait for a bit and see one of the leukemia department's PAs Lori, Lizzy, Rodney or Tiffany. Ann's favorite is Lori. Lori did stop in for an "informal" visit to and to congratulate us on moving on to transplant. She is the the most professional and attentive PA at MDA hands down. Thats not to say that there are bad ones, just that Lori really does shine in her job.
After our clinic visit we had a few more things to take care of at MDA. In the process we ran into more than a few people, both patients and staff, who saw our stories on KHOU 11. The picture to the left is of a fellow leukemia patient who recognized us.
It turns out that she has AML and has just recently relapsed. Her circumstances are similar to Ann's in that she has no adult donor and will have to have a double cord blood transplant too. If things turn out correctly then Ann and her will be going to transplant at the same time. I knew that there were more people like Ann whose genetics was rare enough that they absolutely had to use cord blood because they didn't have any other choice, but it was a startling experience to meet one. All I can say is that it's humbling to see that your problems are not as unique as you once imagined they were.
So we came up with the idea of doing a little thing we call "Wig of the Month". MDA has a beauty shop with a vast collection of wigs that run the gambit for everything from Tina Turner to Rick James, and normal ones too. Ann picked out one she thought looked "plausible", although I was pushing for the Tina Turner "Private Dancer" one, and well... tada!
5 comments:
If you were wearing your smile, you'd look great. :) Of course... I'm kind of used to your dome...
i think a shocking purple or blue would work. let's get a little early 90s back.
I personally think you should go for blonde! :)
I ate at Roly Poly today and the cute girl that made mine today had dark brown & green today. I wonder if that was spinach. hmmm.
I can sum up in one word what May's wig of the month should be.
Afro.
Post a Comment