Day 88
Sorry about the lack of update from yesterday. We went to MDA and got the Gemstar pump disconnected. Which took all of 15 minutes. Ann spent the rest of the day fighting the nausea that always accompanies rounds with Doxorubin. She hasn't thrown up yet, but there have been plenty of close calls.
Later Ann's friend Van came by for a visit. Van is one of Ann's oldest and best friends, well more like a brother than a friend. He is bright, cheerful and always ready with a funny story. Ann met Van years ago when he applied for a job with Eddie Bauer and Ann was one of the managers. She encouraged him to enter law school and he is going to make on hell of a lawyer after he passes the bar.
Today we got the word that our house is officially on the market, and we got our first offer. Hurray I guess. Our little house wasn't much, but it was me and Ann's special place. Our first home together that we owned and the first place we really connected to. Anything we get from the sale of our special place will go directly to Ann's transplant fund and saving her life.
On either side of the front door is a small garden areas that Ann worked really hard on to make look nice. She planted lavender, petunias, rosemary, hostas, calladium and ferns. Then she carefully covered the exposed soil between the plants with pine sod to protect her new plants from weeds. I suppose that most of these plants are dead from neglect now.
In the corner of the garden was a Japanese Magnolia that Ann always wanted to cut down but I protested and she allowed me to keep it. Shortly after we moved into the house I was out on the deck and noticed the beautiful peach colored blooms on the tree and fell in love. A month later the blooms fell off, and I would look forward to each March and April when they would return. I had never thought I could be so deeply effected by a plant but I honestly was. I would sometimes stand in the freezing weather just so I could look at them.
Now it has been almost three months since we have been home and it's strange that the first thoughts I have of our house is of the lonely Japanese Magnolia. I wonder if the blooms are still there or if they are gone.
Update
I would like to say a special thank you to Rebbecca Maas of the US Department of Labor and Rhonda King of the Louisiana Department of Insurance. Both of you are wonderful people, and who have more than earned our utmost respect. Thank you for everything!
3 comments:
Chris -
The blooms this year were as lovely as you remembered. I am sorry you and Ann could not be home to admire and enjoy them. You and Ann shall have a Japanese Magnolia for your next house.
Mom
I'm deeply saddened to hear your story and impressed with your ability to document it. I pray for you both.
Chris,
I was suprised to see my name on Ann's blog today. I feel honored. Although us meeting over the phone is a misfortune, I'm glad that I have had the opportunity to talk with you these the last several weeks. As I mentioned and will say again, Ann is blessed to have you. You are completely in love with her and extremely passionate about your fight for her. Thoughts of you and Ann sadden me. However, her comments and your determination inspire me. Hang in there (easy for me to say, huh?). The both of you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Rhonda King
Post a Comment