Day 90
Let me get the important stuff out of the way first.
Tina rocks! She'll get it.
I got a very special package from my friend Eric, yesterday. Eric, you are famous. :) Thank you for the smile. I'm so happy for you and can't wait to see you at the new place when we get back. Now what will Kim do?
We had a rather eventful day today. Lee Maguire from channel 11 KHOU did a piece on our fight with the insurance company. He and Tony were very nice and couldn't have made things easier. We didn't even realize that they were filming when everything started. Chris and I just wanted to thank them for taking an interest in what we are going through.
Today was spent fighting to stay awake. After the interview, we had to go to MDAnderson for a class on bone marrow transplants. Sort of a "What to expect when you're expecting". I was surprised at how small the turn out was. There were only two other pre-transplant patients with their caregivers. Since I was so ignorant of what was involved in the whole bone marrow transplant process in the beginning, I thought that there would be several more people. The presentation was very informative and ran the gambit from total body irradiation to what to expect in the one-hundred days following the transplant. I'll admit that I was the one student in the class trying to keep my eyes open. It's not that the class was boring, it's just that I missed my nap. The nurse always managed to catch me just as I started to nod off. It's hard to hide in a classroom when there are only five other people to hide amongst.
The bone pain has begun and combined with the joint pain, walking is an agony. I was definitely walking like I'd just gotten off of the range. Poor Chris had to move at a negative speed to keep up with me. That's all I'm going to say on the side effects today.
I finished the knitting project with the eyelash yarn. The knitting aspect was hard, but the binding off part was a nightmare. It was like wrestling with a tarantula. Nothing but fuzzy bits flying everywhere--the carnage was awful.
No appointments tomorrow. We'll post if we hear anything.
Update
I would like to say a special thank you to Phyllis Adams of Phylway Construction in Thibodaux, Louisiana for her very generous donation. Phyllis, both Bob and Chris have spoken very highly of you, and I am eternally thankful for your kindness.
6 comments:
Ann,
I am really touched by your story. It is so wrong what the insurance is doing to you. I will spread the word of your fight. I saw your story on KHOU today. I will email everyone I know.
I haven't had a chance to go back through your whole blog, but I will over time.
You hang in there, take it day by day. You are in my prayers and will ask others to pray for you, but also to help you with the insurance fight. Maybe if their sales go down....
You go girl!!!
Kate Guynn
Missouri City
Hi Ann,
I was really touched by your story. I want you to know that you're in mine and my friends' prayers.
Also, have you considered opening a paypal donation account? It would make it much easier for people to donate money to you!
Stay strong!
Sincerely,
Sarah Roques
Lake Charles, LA
Dear Ann and Chris,
I'm keeping up with you through the blog and was so very thankful for the interview you had with KHOU. It is my hope that this will bring the necessary attention to get Harold's to do the right thing and approve your transplant. Sad, though, that you have to shine the light of day on dirty deeds for people/corporations/insurance companies to do the right thing.
I know a lot of your pals have written to Oprah on your behalf and I have written to Montel Williams as well. He's the national spokesperson for the Prescription Partnership Assn. and I hope he will take up your cause, too.
I continue to pray for your complete recovery.
Dawn
Kudos to KHOU for a job well done. It's good to see a news station notice real news these days. This could be mark the beginning of the end for insurance companies as we know them now. People may not tolerate this once they understand it. And, it feels like abuse.
Mabyn Shingleton
KHOU - Thanks for airing this touching and important story. I hope more stations will follow your lead.
some developing possibilities for more coverage are in the works! everyone keep your fingers crossed. we may get a bit of national attention soon.
i hope, i hope, i hope.
i'll keep you all posted.
Post a Comment