Friday, September 28, 2007

It's a boy!

Day +121

I got some early morning good news from my PA at MDA. My FISH test results had finally come in and there was no sign of my original marrow and there was no sign of cancer. Hooray! I'd been secretly dreading this call because I had just about convinced myself that the cancer would come back. I blame the change in hormones for my freakish behavior this week. Again, poor Chris and Dixie.

Here's the fun part. My chimerism test results were also in and because there is no residual "me" left, my genetic profile looks like my donor's. You got it, sticks and snails and puppy dog tails. My donor was a boy and so, if tested, my profile will be "male". It's a little hard to wrap my head around. When the original transplant team was trying to explain the phenomenon to me, I was so lost in chemo dyslexia, I couldn't comprehend. Seriously, a two year old could have taken me at tic-tac-toe.

When you're transplanted with umbilical cord blood, the theory holds that you want to use the opposite gender as a donor. It's pretty much a guarantee that the new immune system will go after the old one. It's also a quick and dirty way to track engraftment. If I'd shown up as a girl on paper, they'd have known something went wrong. I plan on having a few questions at my next MDA visit.

Chris keeps asking me if I feel an overwhelming need to belch, fart, and scratch at inappropriate times. Not so much. I do promise to share if the burning need to act like a boy comes over me.

So, good news all around. I'm cancer free at the moment. I can fulfill my dream of going on an international crime spree--handy to be a boy on paper. Still getting over the sore throat, but I'm sure that's going to be an ongoing thing. For once, I'm at a happy loss.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Ann, you took the words right out of my mouth. I was thinking the *exact* same thing about the crime spree....ooooh, the things you could do. Lemme know when you start, I'll put in an order.

Michelle said...

Woo Hoo! Congrats on your results. :D Thanks for the information about cord blood and gender. Very interesting stuff that I had never heard before. Have a spectacular weekend!

pj said...

Ann,
Both my cords were male. Does this mean we'll have more body hair? Yikes!
Patricia