Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Baby Steps

Day +104

The day before we left Houston, Chris called me from the road, worried that he'd lost his cell phone in the parking lot of the apartment complex. He asked me if I'd be comfortable going out to look for it. I instantly said yes, thinking that it wouldn't be a big deal. It would be my first time out alone. As I stepped outside, I was confronted by a swath of grass covered in pigeons and squirrels. It stopped me in my tracks. I couldn't believe that a bunch of birds and a handful of rodents were intimidating me so badly. I had to walk through them in order to get to the parking lot. I kept telling myself that they would scatter as I walked towards them. They all seemed to stop and turn toward me in unison. One squirrel began to twitch in my direction. They didn't budge. I started stomping my feet to make noise and they still wouldn't move. I finally had to bolt past them and into the parking lot. I'm sure I looked like a complete nut and to boot, no phone. Chris thought the menacing squirrels were hilarious.

I managed to scare Chris these past few days with a persistent cough. I've gone through this a few times before at MD Anderson. I cough at night because of post nasal drip. I've had several throat swabs and nasal washes because of this. Each time, they come back clear, but you have to be vigilant. A small cough could be pneumonia or something worse. Poor Chris is on pins and needles everytime I sniffle or clear my throat.

I can feel the difference between allergies and something else. On the other hand, I did go into the hospital for a week for a UT infection that I didn't have symptoms for. I know that I have to take extra precautions and sometimes I get so complacent, I forget. My allergies are in hyper-over-time thanks to the new environment. In addition to that, I'm back around my cats. I promise, I spoke to several doctors and nurses before exposing myself to them. I'm hoping that things start to even out so I can stop terrorizing Chris with my coughing.

Slowly but surely, I'm getting in touch with friends. I still have a long list of people to call and the cell signal in Denham Springs is horrid. My phone cut out 6 times on a very dear and patient friend before we agreed to try again some other time. I suppose I had to replace the road rage with something.

Chris and Dixie continue to introduce vegetables and fruits into my diet, which is heaven. Chris is worried about giving me root vegetables and I've been begging for beets and sweet potatoes. He's worried that the dirt left on them will carry something into the house that will compromise me. I understand this completely.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann, you are an amazing woman and a great lady. I am thrilled to see that you are home again. What a joyous occasion. YOU BEAT IT!!! (for the most part)
What a tremendous feat! Your husband is a gem! What a lucky woman you are.

Now that you are back home and close to friends, I hope that you will continue to update the rest of us who "admire you from afar". We have all become involved in your life vicariously and want to know how you are doing.

Every night I log on, anticipating an update, looking forward to hearing the news of the day. If you stop, I think I would have serious withdrawals! HA! If it gets to be too much, you can always update 2x a week, then 1x a week with updates as news develops. Just a suggestion.

We just want to see you thru to the end...meaning the "all clear". We've grown to love and care for you...both.

Love and prayers from out west,

A.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are home and doing great. I have been following your blog for awhile and I am so happy for you and Chris!

Lisa (Gonzales, La)

Tina said...

Don't worry, Ann. I sometimes think the pigeons and the squirrels are conspiring against me, too. It's perfectly normal...really. Just watch out for those robins, they'll poke your eye out if you come between them and their worm.

Carilou said...

I'm sure you're thrilled to be back with your cats. I'm sure they give you wonderful comfort and lots of laughs.
This is all so exciting I just can't stand it.

Carilou said...

...and by the way...your hair reminds me of Annie Lennox! Very cool

Anonymous said...

Those birds and squirrels can be rough. I swear I think ours have turf wars in our yard. I am glad to hear that you are getting to eat more fruits and veggies.

heather

Cindy Nelson said...

Ann I totally understand about those evil pigeons and squirrels. I was attacked by a gang of vicious pigeons as a child. Of course, my family thought it was hilarious, but you know how rotten my family can be :) You only need to worry if you actually see them huddling together and casting evil looks in your direction - they love to plot out attacks on unsuspecting humans.......

Cindy

Tina said...

don't listen to cindy...it *was* hilarious! bwah-ha-ha-haaaaa.

no really.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Chris...