Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Crave!

Being a resident of south Louisiana, I sadly live in a world deprived of one of my favorite fast-food treats, the White Castle Slider. While I was on my job interview a few days ago I was delighted to discover that right next door to the hotel I was staying at there was a shiny brand-new White Castle. I felt like I had stumbled into the realm of a lost but much more advanced civilization, that just happens to make small hamburgers. This must have been like what Howard Carter felt when he found Tutankhamen's tomb. As soon as I checked in I hot-footed it over and ordered a sack of sliders, and no fries, since they are just empty filler. I managed 8 before I had to stop and they were exquisite.

My only regret was that I couldn’t share the experience with Ann. She's an even larger White Castle fanatic than I am. In fact those little sliders rank among her most favorite things ever. The thought of her missing out on something she loved led me to explore several ideas after my interview on how to transport a bunch of sliders back to Baton Rouge. Sadly, none were workable. Almost every idea I could think of ended with botulism and a emergency trip back to MDA.

However, I did hit on a plan, which I put into action yesterday. While I couldn’t bring Ann to the sliders or the sliders to Ann, I could make my own for her. And after a quick trip to Wal-mart and a little research on White Castle via Youtube, I had everything I needed to crank out two dozen of the tiny but tasty little burgers. I know they aren't the "real thing", but I love her so much I wanted to get as close as possible. Sadly the operation was too large for it to be a surprise, but Ann was over the moon about them. She gobbled 4 at dinner and another 2 for breakfast this morning. So I think she likes them.

Still no word about the results from the job interview. Never fear, if it doesn’t work out I have a couple of irons in the fire still.

9 comments:

YWCA Pasadena-Foothill Valley said...

Ahhhh, those are soooo cute. Where do you buy the mini buns? Wal Mart?

You are such a sweet hubby, Chris.

Nancy said...

These sliders look so delish! You are very sweet Chris. You are both lucky to have each other!!! Are the slider buns made with Kings Hawaiian Rolls or a regular roll? ENJOY... love, n

Nancy said...

These sliders look so delish! You are very sweet Chris. You are both lucky to have each other!!! Are the slider buns made with Kings Hawaiian Rolls or a regular roll? ENJOY... love, n

Jim said...

Good work, Chris. Love on that girl!

Anonymous said...

Ann and Chris, Did you hear that Jennifer Clancey passed away? Got the news today, the 30th. GI bleed or GVHD of the gut, I don't know. I actually started my blogspot just so I could be in contact with you. Might remove it. Wonder if there is a way I can get direct updates from you. Very very sad news. Love, Judy (julindy122@gmail.com)

Paige said...

lol You were like Harold and Kumar! Those little burgers look good. They should really open a franchise in Louisiana.

Renee said...

Chris- I know what you mean about White Castle! I was in St. Louis last week and able to get my "fix." Haha. You are such a good hubby to try and make them for Ann :) Keep us posted with the job search!

Rooster said...

Chris I hope you get good news soon. Livining in Ohio near Columbus there are White Castle's all over, personnaly I can't stand them but my husband loves them. It looks like you did a great job replicating the sliders. Please relay to Ann that I will be thinking of her on Wednesday as well as we are both being poked & proded by the Doctors.

** SAVE MICHELLE ** said...

What a sweet hubby you are Chris. I've never had a white castle burger, but my new taste buds and I think those little guys in your picture look amazing. Well done! :D