Monday, February 2, 2009

One of the side effects of being on a high dose of steroids is that you may become diabetic. As a result of being on steroids since last November, I have become diabetic. I'm supposed to test my blood sugar three times a day and dose myself with insulin when appropriate. I've been very lucky in that I rarely need insulin, maybe two or three times a week. The shots are no big deal and having to stick myself to test my glucose levels rarely hurts. I do find the whole affair highly annoying, though.

I've never been the kind of person who eats on a schedule. I much prefer to graze throughout the day when I'm hungry. Now, if I want a snack, I have to weigh my choice of food against what it will do to my blood sugar. If I eat too close to a set meal, I can guarantee myself a shot in the stomach. In the scheme of things it's a minor inconvenience and I know it's not going to be a permanent way of life, but there's a reason for this rant.

Saturday morning I had a feeling that I was headed for a urinary tract infection. I wasn't displaying any symptoms, but a little voice in my head was telling me that I needed to do something before I started to run a fever or feel that ever pleasant tingle. UTI's are normally no big deal if you're healthy, but for me, it means a trip to the ER.

Chris ran to the store and picked up six litres of cranberry juice. I drank three litres alone on Saturday. Here comes the rant...cranberry juice is full of sugar. (Yes, I know you can get the "lite" version which has significantly less sugar, but doesn't quite taste right.) My blood sugar has been out of whack all weekend. It's driving me crazy. It's also making me cranky, but I can blame that on the steroids.

I've almost finished the last of the juice and hope that I've nipped this little problem in the bud. We're headed to Houston on Wednesday, so I should update by Thursday. Think happy thoughts.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi Ann. I'm sorry for the blood sugar condition and also for the UTI! No FUN!!! I'm hoping they can reduce the steroids soon so the diabetic condition will cease to exist. Additionally, when I was on steroids I was hungry all the time!!! Not fun if you have to watch your blood sugar levels on top of everything else.

Hang in there! This too shall pass! love you.. nancy

Rooster said...

Good morning Ann,
I lost my grandmother & uncle to Diabetes so I know how serious it can be if you do not stay on top of it. I know the finger sticks can be annoying but it sounds like it is neccessary & you can do it. That is nothing in comparrison to what you have been through. I hope that your vibe for the UTI was wrong & that you got juiced up for nothing. Good luck tomarrow!
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Ann,

You know your body so well and congrats on being able to forcast a UTI before it truly manifested itself full throttle.

How is the steroid taper? I know it is so different for chronic vs. acute gvhd.

Keep on going!! You are doing great.
xo-Lea

Anonymous said...

Ann,

Decorate a mask for Mardi Gras, put it on and go to a ball or parade....Masquerade, BABY!!!!!

Enjoy yourself and get out some, Mardi Gras mask and all.

we love u!

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I mean decorate a SURGIGAL mask like a Mardi Gras mask and go have some fun!

Anonymous said...

Ann,

As someone who fights UTI's and has issues with sugar, I recommend unsweetened cranberry juice. It's not the "light" kind, but it actually pure cranberry juice. You can find it in some grocery stores, and most health food stores. It is quite tart, but I have developed a taste for it. And it works!