Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Wii Fit

The conditioning for the transplant and the steroids have been taking their toll on Ann's back, leg and hip muscles. Even though she has been tapering off of the steroids for a couple of weeks now, she has been complaining that it's difficult to do things like carry a modest weight while walking up a step. So to combat this she has started doing Wii fit at least once a day.

This isn't a commercial for Nintendo, they certainly don't need my help in that department, but the results have been pretty impressive so far. So much so that I would strongly recommend that anyone who is recovering from a transplant go out and get a Wii and a copy of Wii Fit.

The exercises are gentle to start off with and the difficultly is progressive enough for a variable amount of challenge. As you do more it rewards you with the option to take on more difficult and rewarding exercises. Its kind of like having your own personal physical therapist.

After doing it for a couple of days Ann was very happy to point out to me that the steps on the front of the house were nowhere near the challenge they had been. Now she is able to help me do things like take the groceries from the car and carry laundry baskets. That might not sound like much, but considering doing those things left her totally wiped out before it’s a small step back to normal. More importantly, now when a 14 Lbs. cat sits on her she's not trapped for the rest of the afternoon.

2 comments:

Susan C said...

What great physical therapy. Keep up the good, hard work!

Terri said...

Long time reader, first time commenting :) Isn't Wii Fit the best? I have chronic lower leg problems and I never thought that I'd be able to exercise with this intensity again. I wouldn't recommend it for an able-bodied person that could take up running, etc.

I am rooting for you! I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that you inspire me. (The mini burgers made me hungry!!)