Thursday, February 5, 2009

I had my monthly checkup in Houston yesterday and all is well. My blood work was normal for the most part, with the exception of my liver enzymes. Yet again they are elevated. Dr. Kebriaei thinks that this is due to the V-fend that I take and has decided to stop it in favor of Noxafil. She's worried that my liver is irritated due to a number of things, including extra iron from all of the transfusions I've received over the last two years.

In two weeks I'll see my local oncologist for follow up blood work. If my liver enzymes are still elevated then Dr. Kebriaei wants to start me on a new medication that will help eliminate the iron from my liver. She's a little hesitant since I'll be the first transplant patient that she's prescribed this to.

I've also been given the green light to stop testing my blood sugar. After quizzing me about my numbers and the amount of insulin I inject, she decided that maintaining the integrity of my skin was more important. W00t! I still have to follow a diabetic diet, but that shouldn't be a problem. She also wants to be more aggressive about tapering the amount of steroids I take. If all goes well, then I should be completely off of Medrol by the beginning of March. This does mean that I'll start to feel a lot more tired and will probably have more muscle wasting issues. I'll deal with it when it comes.

If anyone needs me, I'll be sitting on the couch recovering from yesterday.

8 comments:

Susan C said...

You're coming along so beautifully! So glad you no longer have to be the human pin cushion and that you'll be tapering off the steroids.

After my "problem" of losing weight on steroids, I'm back to a normal metabolism. I've really had to adjust my eating habits (no more 1,200 calorie breakfasts). Yikes! But I'm not complaining. Really.

PJ said...

Psst. Wanna compare labs?

I'm so glad you had a good report, minus the iron overload. Hope the steroid tapering isn't too bad.

Enjoy that couch while you can.

Wiley said...

Ann, I'm delighted to see that you're doing so well! Keep up the good work and come see us!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Ann!!! Coming off the roids is going to be such a wonderful thing for you!!
xo-Lea

Nancy said...

Yay! Taper, Taper, Taper... then off those steroids! You just reminded me to have my doc check my iron. I forgot all about my iron overload. A few months ago, my iron(FE) was still at 2000!!! (just like you, a result of over 200 blood transfusion in 2006) But, my insurance plan would not cover the meds to bring down the iron count. Those meds were going to run a few thousand dollars a month - all on my behalf. No Thanks.

Glad for your good news. Keep it up girl. : ) love, n

Renee said...

Hey Ann! So glad to hear about the great check-up! You continue to be such an inspiration and a motivation to me in my medical school studies. Keep on keepin on!

Rooster said...

Ann,

That is really good news. Rest up for the road is still a long one but you are making such sweet progress!I a so happy for your good report. I am sure they can get your liver in check with some minor modifications. Keep on fighting.

Sandi

** SAVE MICHELLE ** said...

Great to hear things are going well for you Ann!