Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wonky knees

I awoke a few minutes before 2am with excruciating pain in both knees. I had a small episode the night before last, so I wasn't surprised by this incident. It didn't help that I stayed on my feet most of the day, so that by the end of the night my left knee felt a little twitchy. My own fault, really.

I hobbled out to the kitchen and got the ice packs, but for some reason the weight of them on my knees made the pain worse. That's never really happened before. To put things in perspective, the weight of the blanket on my prone knees stressed them. I bit the bullet and left the ice packs on, but switched over to a lighter blanket. This was torture since the temperature had finally dropped to something resembling winter and I was deliberately applying ice to my legs. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to be cold while sleeping. Queen weenie, that's me.

This morning, it feels like my knees are grinding, so I've resolved to stay off my feet as much as possible. I did forget to mention that we discussed these intermittent episodes with my transplant doctor last week and she's under the impression that my knees are over-stressed and compensating for the fact that I've lost muscle mass from the steroids. She's suggested that I start doing low impact exercises to strengthen my thigh muscles and glutes. I'll add it to my list of things to do.

Overall, I feel really well and have no other complaints. The knees aren't so bad in the big scheme of things. The last few days have been trying. One of the cats became very ill over the weekend and had to be euthanized on Monday. The vet estimated that she was between 17 and 22 years old and Chris and I knew the day was coming, but I don't think you can ever really be ready for something like that. We had 14 great years with Squeeze and we'll miss her very much.

I'm going to install myself on the couch and try to finish knitting another baby gift. Thankfully, this one is for a toddler, so it's a bit bigger than some of the other things that I've tortured myself with. Maybe I'll remember to take a picture of this one to post. :)

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi Ann. Sorry to hear about your knees. I also continue to have problems mostly in my right knee. I'm so sorry to hear about Squeeze.
I'm sure he's happy where he is and is thankful for all the love you and Chris have showered him with over the years.

Take care and stay off your feet for a few days. Chris, I guess that means you get to wait on her. : )
love, n

PJ said...

Take care of yourself, Ann. You need those knees, so treat them with kid gloves until you're stronger.

I'm sorry you had to put Squeeze to sleep. Our animals are so precious to us.

Susan C said...

HI Ann, It broke my heart to hear about Squeeze, but I know he had 14 wonderful years with you and Chris.

It's shocking how the steroids rob us of muscle mass and strength. I'm working hard to rebuild my strength after the last Prednisone encounter.

You'll have to figure out a way to whip up those gourmet meals from a seated position.

Anonymous said...

Oh Squeeze's passing made me sad for you. That is such a long and intense time to share with anything or anyone. I am sending you big hugs my dear and hoping that the rest makes the knees feel better.

You are doing great-
Lea

Anonymous said...

helo

sory to hear about squeeze. i know how it felt to have a cat for 14 years then losing her.

on your side, sure it's painful and bothering you. i hope it will subside asap.

keep doing this great job.

nora_d

Tina said...

Squeeze lived to a ripe old age, I love hearing that. It's terrible to have to say goodbye to our pets, they are really our family. It is so incredible to me that she could have been 22 years old! rest in peace little kitty.

Ronni Gordon said...

I'm sorry to hear about Squeeze. We get so attached to our animals (dogs, in my case), it's like losing a family member. I hope you're comforted by the fact that he had a good long life with you. Hope your knees feel better!