Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Yesterday, I had the house to myself for the better part of the day. Dixie was at work and Chris was running errands. The cats were milling around pretending not to be interested in anything outside their little spheres of being.

I managed to sit still for all of an hour before testing my knees and venturing out into the rest of the house. There are days when I've had a bad night with the knees that it feels like bone grinding on bone while walking. There have been a few occasions when I've had to prop myself up on counters just to do something so mundane as brushing my teeth.

I installed myself on the couch with some knitting and stayed put until everyone got home. It drove me crazy to have to sit still with my legs stretched out in front of me. Since we've returned to Dixie's I've been more active. I'm relearning the limits of my ability and learning when I need to rest and when I need to push myself. The learning curve isn't steep, but it can be frustrating.

Last night I managed to sleep through the night with no knee/ankle problems. Today, I feel like a whole person. I'm sure I'll over do it and pay for it tomorrow, but right now it just feels nice to be doing something.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sitting on the couch knitting is better than what you've spent a lot of time doing over the past while.
hoping 2009 is equally as mundane.
no more excitement please.
-carilou

Anonymous said...

Hello Ann,

You are such a strong person and I am hoping each day you will improve and able to do things at a manageable phase.

My daughter has myelofibrosis post essential thrombocythemia and had stem cell transplant (from her brother) Sep 19, 2008. She is now suffering from GVHD of the gut and mouth and had CMV. This is her second bout of GVHD. She is +102 today. I am hoping for the best and praying not only for her but also for you. We are also Asian (Philippines) and very thankful that her brother was a match. Keep strong.

Clarita

Susan C said...

I'm so relieved to hear that you got a reprieve from the pain and a good night's sleep.

Hope you sleep well tonight too, dear one!

Wiley said...

We're glad you're home. Here's to a REALLY BORING New Year for you both!