Thursday, December 4, 2008

We had another long day at clinic today, mostly spent waiting to see my doctor. I didn't get cut loose due to...low magnesium. It actually went down a little, again. I've been advised to bump my consumption up to 12,000 milligrams a day. Hello imodium. My doctor also speculated that I might just be one of those people who needs to absorb the mineral through food. I've been eating cashews on a daily basis to help bump up my levels, but now I'll have to plan menus around foods that are high in magnesium. Unfortunately, these are usually foods that bring out the picky eater in Chris. Rather, I should say that the foods that appeal to me definitely do not appeal to Chris. Think dark, leafy greens like spinach and collard greens. I'll just have to eat the lion's share on my own.

The good news is that the list of foods is pretty extensive, so we'll figure it out.

My doctor is anticipating letting me go late next week. She also mentioned taking my catheter out after we get everything in order. I'm all for that. Since we were planning on staying through next week I'm not disheartened about the delay. At least I'm still here planning ways to cause trouble for the world at large. :)

7 comments:

PJ said...

Cause trouble, yes!!!

Susan C said...

I recently read a quote that reminded me of you, Ann:


Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the evil forces of the world shudder and say,"Oh shit...she's awake!!"

I must be loaded with magnesium. I eat dark green veggies almost every day. I wonder if Chris would like spinach if it's cooked with a lot of bacon?

Ann said...

Susan,

I loved, loved, loved it!

Anonymous said...

thats a lot of magnesium girlie- now you are showing off! Great report!!!!

Tina said...

i am so excited that you are getting out of there soon! i am so proud of you, ann. you are such a survivor. i love it.

re: the darky leafy greens. i really really really think you should get a juicer. i have said this before, but now it seems appropriate to bring up again. you can get your fill of your daily magnesium (and other vitamins) through juicing the greens. i can give you tips on yummy combos. but that way won't lose a lot of the vitamins through cooking AND more importantly, chris wont' have to slip the collard greens to the kitties under the table when you're not looking. :)

this is all of course when you are allowed to have the fresh veggies again. (make sure it is all organic btw)

love ya.

Ronni Gordon said...

Juicers are great. I have one... in the back of my closet. I have read a lot about juicing and how good it is for you, especially carrot juice, which I couldn't stomach, although I did make a nice vegetable juice. Problem is they're a hassle and hard to clean, plus you can't have fresh veggies now anyway. I vote for one of Susan's recipes with lots of bacon and other goodies. I bet you didn't know you were going to spark a culinary debate!

Tina said...

juicers are really easy. not a pain to clean, especially if you have a dishwasher. I take mine apart and wash by hand everyday. very easy and very, very, very worth it.