Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I had my very first day off from clinic today and I am happy to report that as of this minute, nothing happened. A home health company delivered a pump and magnesium last night for me to use today. I got plenty of hydration thanks to that bolus and am hopeful that my magnesium levels start to improve. The best part about today was that I got to sleep in until 8:30am. It was bliss.

I've had a little ongoing issue that I haven't mentioned before, but felt that I finally should. It would seem that one of the chemo drugs that I received--busulfan, has a nasty little side effect that manifests days or weeks after it's administered. It starts to burn your skin from the inside out and it shows up on the most sensitive skin on your body. Mine started a few days before I was released from the hospital as small clusters of dark brown dots under my arms, breasts, on my abdomen, around my groin, and on the backs of my hands. The dots quickly grew into each other and now I have large patches of irritable dark brown skin. It itches and has started peeling in places. The doctors have all assured me that this is normal and that I should be on the look out for the burned skin turning really red. This would mean a topical yeast infection. Skippy.

Right now, we're just watching it. If it progresses, then I'll be prescribed some magical creams and unguents. I'm just hoping it peels away and becomes a memory in a relatively short period of time. I've been told that it may take months.

On a more positive note, I was able to eat more today. I think it had something to do with not being held captive at the whim of food service or a lackluster cafeteria. Being able to get up and have what I wanted when I wanted it helped immensely. I also managed to keep the nausea at bay today. All in all, not bad for only being out of the hospital for a week.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Yay... no clinic visit!!! I hope you are feeling better soon. About that busulfan skin burn, I really didn't have that probably because I was in the hospital for 81 days. I think any sun exposure will excerbate it! So, please, please stay completely out of the sun for a long time!! I saw someone who didn't heed that warning and trust me, you DON'T want your skin to look like that!!

Glad to hear you are keeping more food down. Progess comes in tiny steps... you are moving forward!!
sending my love, nancy

Wiley said...

Hey, Kiddo! I know it's great to be able to sleep in. Enjoy it! I know you don't need any "beauty rest", but I bet it sure feels good to be out of the hospital and sleeping in your own bed. YOU'VE EARNED IT! Keep up the good work. We're pulling for ya!

Anonymous said...

Eat and sleep and you'll get better. I'm glad those things are easier these days.
Other things that help: trashy celb magazines and Masterpiece Theatre.
-Carilou

susiegb said...

Glad things are starting to look up ...

One thing I've just recently been reading on an MCL list is about the importance of exercise after a SCT. Person after person was writing how they had to force themselves to walk (or whatever) but it really really paid off for them in the speed with which they recovered.

I haven't got to the SCT stage (maybe I never will, who knows) but I'm definitely going to remember that for myself ... :)