Monday, October 6, 2008

Day +30

It's been a month since Ann underwent her second transplant and although things are certainly not as easy as they were the first time around, they do seem to be generally improving. Ann managed to walk from the MDA parking garage to the clinic and back, while carrying on light conversation, without too much exertion. I know that doesn’t sound like much to most of you, but its an improvement.

Ann had her first post-transplant a bone marrow biopsy along with a couple of extra vials of blood drawn for chimerism testing. Each test generates results, some of which come back quickly, other not so much, but all are delivered hot out of the laser printer, on white sheets of plain paper. I used to get the shakes and a feel the yawning pit open up under my feet every time someone handed me one of those ubiquitous cheap 8.5x11 sheets of copy paper. Things are better now with the meds, but only so at the cost of me feeling slightly disconnected. Still I can't help still wondering if the next one is going to reduce our compact little world to an even smaller dimension. Unlike loving my Wife, living in the moment is just not something I'm very good at.

The results from a Bone Marrow Biopsy are the gold-standard, big kahuna, grand unified theory of blood cancer treatment. If the marrow
is normal, which is to say has the right number of cells and they are
all healthy, then you pass. If not then you don't pass go or collect
$200.

We won't know about the chimerism test for a couple of weeks or the PCR or FISH for the marrow anytime soon. However, MDA's pathologists did manage to get the differential counts on Ann's new marrow done before we left clinic and the results are good. 1% blasts showing, with all other counts in the range for healthy adult marrow. I guess that shouldn’t have come as a surprise because I can see it in the charts I track Ann's blood work on. Which I'll post later for anyone who is interested.

Everything is nice and normal. I can live with that for the moment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, thanks so much for your honesty.

I am thinking great thoughts for the BMB results. It seems like there is always a test, waiting for the test results, and then the reaction/game plan with those test results. Exhausting and nothing to do but live life as much as you can in between.

You guys are my heroes!
Lea

Mabyn Shingleton said...

I sure wish things were easier for both of you. I'm glad Ann had a bit more endurance (?) today and, Chris, thank you so much for maintaining this incredible blog. I love to read Ann's posts and yours. It makes me feel like I am part of what is going on. My thoughts are with you guys. mabyn

Ronni Gordon said...

Glad she's feeling better and that you are getting good early test results. I know that scary feeling when the printout is coming, or they're looking the counts up on the computer. We have to sit calmly when really we're about to fall off our chair!

Tina said...

Pretty soon ann will be doing sprints from the parking garage to the clinic!

Glad the initial test results are good. Nice and normal are a luxury for you both....enjoy!

Michelle said...

Hooray I'm so happy that the day 30 biopsy was clear. That's really great. You go girl!

Wiley said...

I know it's tough Chris, but you're doing GREAT! Keep it up! We're all proud of you and keeping both you and ANN in our prayers and warm and fuzzy thoughts! Let us know if you need another blood cell!