Monday, August 13, 2007

Indy 500

Day +75 (D 215)

Here we are 3/4ths of the way through the 100 days and today's counts are...

WBC 8.2 K/uL
RBC 3.05 K/uL
HGB 10.3 G/DL
PLT 321 K/uL
ANC 4.97 K/uL

As you can see Ann's counts have bounced back from her time in the hospital. I have noticed that it seems when ever her RBC numbers approach anything above 3.0 K/uL she starts running a low grade temperature (99F - 99.9F). I don't know if this is just a coincidence or if it is significant. We did mention it to the attending physician while we where in the hospital this last time and he thought it was "interesting". I'm sure what he really meant was that the whole process of a transplant is so complicated and has so many variables it is difficult to isolate cause and effect from each other.

Anyway the important thing right now is that Ann is doing well and her counts are still strong. She got a little flack at physical therapy today after coming out of the hospital. The therapists are worried that they have been "too aggressive" with Ann and that may have contributed to her temperature. I say Bollocks! But none the less Ann was given a light work out today. Maybe tomorrow they will let her go back to her usual level and routine after they re-evaluate her ability again.



I'm happy to report that the neuropathy in her hands and feet has almost completely vanished. She has even asked the Pharm-D on the transplant team to reduce her dose of her lyrica several times now. I think that they will take her off it altogether soon. The decrease in neuropathy has allowed Ann to start doing one of the "normal" things that almost everyone takes for granted these days....driving.

You can see her in action in the picture above. I usually drive in the morning and let her drive home after clinic. She is practicing for the drive back home to Baton Rouge, but she is developing road rage from the Houston traffic. Maybe when she is a little farther along I will ask the team if I can let her drive on the 610 Loop around Houston. For those of you who have never driven in Houston, taking the 610 Loop is like driving the Indianapolis 500 in a Yugo! Or it is for me at least, but Ann's really looking forward to it anyway.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Go Ann Go!! Congrats again on the great blood counts. Keep up the terrific blogs.... I'm addicted to your blogsite. I was out of town for a couple of days and the first thing I did when I returned home was check on YOU both and Joe! Continue to take good care of yourself. love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and wishing you success in your fight.
Love you,
Anna Beth Whittingotn

Anonymous said...

Houston traffic is a great time to practice patience. It has never worked for me, but I wish you the best of luck.

Heather