Friday, August 24, 2007

Good Bye Dr. Alousi

Day +85 (D 225)

WBC 8.2 K/uL (4.0 -11.0)
RBC 3.40 M/uL (4.0 - 5.5)
HGB 11.5 G/DL (12.0 - 16.0)
PLT 323 K/uL (140 - 440)

Ann's counts are looking pretty good, no? White cells and Platelets continue to be in the normal range. While Red cells and Hemoglobin are almost at normal levels.

Today is a bit of a banner day as well because the transplant team elected to discontinue all the take home IV fluids we where using between clinic visits. The bags Ann was being given were saline and magnesium and the team is now reasonably comfortable that she can maintain the required level of it by herself by only taking pills. Ann is not happy about taking 4500 mg of magnesium a day, but it is preferable to having cold bags of fluid pumped in. It's also a reminder that MDA is beginning to consider the CVC port as extraneous. Hurray!

We said good bye to Dr. Alousi today. He is a very genuine and kind man and although we never did meet any of his other patients while we where under his care, it's hard to imagine them being in better hands. Dr. Kebriaei, who was our first transplant doctor had been out on maternity leave for the least couple of months and Dr. Alousi absorbed her cases. We are scheduled to see her again next week after Ann has her +90 day bone marrow biopsy.

I know we have been giving the impression that we will be leaving Houston on the +100 Day mark, or 9/7/07. Personally I would like to leave this place so fast that we will leave flaming skid marks, but everything is hanging on the results of the biopsy, chimerism and FISH tests. So we may hang around a few extra days just so we don't have to turn around and come back if anything is wrong.

Fingers crossed and 14 days to go...

5 comments:

Joe.Karen said...

Dear Ann & Chris,

Just wanted to let you know that we have been keeping up with you and we are SO thrilled that things have been going so well for you. Are you really hitting day 100 in two weeks! That is just crazy. We will be praying for awesome results. WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

God bless you.

Love,
Karen & Joe

michelle said...

Hello Ann & Chris,

I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia in Feb 2007 and I stumbled upon your blog through the AADP website. I have been following your story regularly and I just wanted to tell you how helpful/informative your website has been to me. It actually inspired me to start one of my own.

Congratulations!! It seems like things are going very well. I admire your strong spirit and positive attitude. You two seem like a great team.

I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
Michelle

contessa donovan said...

my name is contessa, i am a friend of Cindy's, katie and tina's sister, Cindy has kept me updated on all of your progress and I am thrilled for you. I am having some tests done and I am a little scared , but I have told Cindy, you and your story, no matter what the outcome of the tests, you are my strength,your fights, your strength, you are such a special person, you amaze me, you probably think i am weird for writng this, but your strength through everything you have been through, i wish i could meet you in person.anyway, i just wanted to tell you that. i wanted to tell you that i think you are a very special person, and i feel lucky to even know about your fight through cindy.keep fighting!!!!

Wiley said...

Ann & Chris, keep up the good work, We're still with you in our hearts and prayers. Look forward to enjoying the rest of your lives together!

Wiley+

Tina said...

t minus 14 days.....

I can't be any happier know that you have such a small countdown to the day you can leave houston!!

and i better see your smiling faces up here in the big apple soon.

don't eat no bugs.

t