Wednesday, May 6, 2009

House--part 3

I just got back from having the potential new home inspected and I'm wiped out. I'm still finding the boundaries of what I can and cannot do. I never really know how I'm going to be effected by something until I do it. Three hours of walking around and sitting in a strange house apparently takes the mickey out of me.

I got to the house early and within minutes, Kary, our home inspector arrived. I'd met him once before when we made an offer on the last house. He was an absolute pleasure to work with then and I wasn't disappointed this time, either. We talked shop the first time we met and he's the kind of guy that will invite you to tag along while he's working and explain to you what he's doing. Believe me, not all home inspectors will do that. Lucky for him, I was recovering from the first transplant, or I would have taken him up on it.

He was a building contractor for 17 years before he switched careers, so I had fun picking his brain about how things get put together and the crazy things some people do. The last time he worked with us he learned of our situation with the leukemia and the transplant. It's been so long since I saw him last, I was sure that he would have forgotten us. Not so. He asked what happened with the last house and I caught him up on the last eight months.

Just like Angela, my realtor, Kary, who owns At Ease Home Inspections, LLC, is an absolute doll to work with. He's always patient with us as Chris and I pepper him with questions about houses and systems in general. He's thorough and most of all, he's considerate. He takes the time to explain each item as he comes across it and if you're not clear on it, he'll take you through the issue until you understand it. I've dealt with other home inspectors and this isn't always the case. I've been brushed off or told that "it would be in the report." Kary's not like that. For lack of a better description, he's just a really good guy and we all know the world could use a few more of those.

So, if you've been keeping up with the blog, you already know that I love Angela Jordan at ERA/Stirling. Now you know how invaluable I believe Kary at At Ease Home Inspections is. Yes, I know this looks like one giant advertisement, but they've been very good to Chris and me. After having been in the service industry for so long, customer service and an overall trust for an individual are very important to me. They both have my trust and appreciation for the great job they do.

I should have an electronic copy of the inspection tonight. There were a few deferred maintenance issues and one or two crazy surprises. Not crazy in the sense that there's a fully rebuilt car in the attic, but strange enough that it made me wonder what previous owners must have been thinking. Chris and I will review the report tonight and make a few decisions. Net/net, so long as the current owner is willing to work with us on the big stuff, I don't foresee any insurmountable problems. The small, nit-picky things, I can live with. A little paint, a bit of caulk, and a dab of gorilla glue can do wonders.

Once we get over this hurdle and the loan paperwork looks good, I promise to post pictures of the house.

6 comments:

Susan C said...

Wow! You're on your way. I can't wait to see the pics.

Lea Morrison said...

congrats- sounds like you are on your way!!!!

PJ said...

I'm so happy for you guys. "Normal" here you come!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy and excited for you both!

Wendy Ü

Nancy said...

Hey Ann & Chris,
Everything sounds great. Can't wait to see your pics and get a new address for you!!! I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Hang in there! : )

Tina said...

this is very exciting. i can't wait to visit you both in your new home. keeping all positive thoughts about the process going smoothly for you.