Friday, May 15, 2009

For Susan and Nancy

Last Friday Chris and I went to a matinee showing of Star Trek. This was my first "big girl" outing since the transplant and I was a little nervous about making my public debut at a movie theater. The last time I went to see a movie was in 2006. Chris works nine to ten hour days so Fridays are usually a half day for him. We got to the theater a half hour late to avoid any crowds and ended up missing the first ten minutes of the movie. The movie was a lot of fun and I thoroughly enjoyed being out and about. I promise not to make a habit of it as I'm still taking half a milligram of Prograf each day and my immune system is still learning the ropes.

As for my episode of food poisoning yesterday...

It all happened after eating a turkey sandwich of my own making. The deli meat was of the commercial variety and comes in one of those resealable/reusable containers. It was nowhere near it's use by date after opening. Chris suspects that it might have been contaminated when someone else went into it. I have no idea. I'm just happy that it's behind me and I'm not vomiting anymore.

I've felt fine all day today and still haven't had any fevers. My allergies are an entirely different story. I suppose that's what I get for living in such verdant surroundings. I continue to have issues with skin GvH. The itching becomes magnified when I get hot or exposed to too much sunlight. There are tiny scaly patches on both arms and I suspect that I'm getting a few on my back. I haven't been able to see them, but I can feel a subtle difference in texture in certain areas. I'll talk to my local doctor about it, but it hasn't become such an issue that I'm bothered by it. A little GvHD is fine so long as it keeps the leukemia at bay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the food poisoning- that does not sound like fun at all!! UGH!! SO Sorry you got sick.

Yes, a litttle gvhd is a good thing knowing that it is easy to think of the little leukie cells getting eaten up if they try to rear their ugly head!!!

Much love,
Lea

Susan C said...

Ah, I was going to guess that it was the Star Wars movie. What a fun diversion for you and Chris.

Nancy said...

Thanks for the great answers to our questions. Can you believe I've been to the Movie Theater one time since my transplant three years ago? Crazy HUH? I'm such a germaphobe now... I saw the last Harry Potter Movie and I wore a sweatshirt with a hood. While watching the movie I had the hood on, so my head and hair wouldn't touch the back of the seat! I thought going to the movies was a move toward normalcy until I realized that I was so obsessive about germs.

I'm so glad you are feeling better and that you're are getting closer to being in your new home. I couldn't be happier for you!

I'm still on more Prograf than you... I don't get that! Anyways, the gvhd sounds exactly like mine. It's manageable and I don't hesitate to take antihistamines for the itching. A dose of that usually helps me sleep at night, too!

Take care, love n