Friday, November 30, 2007

Day +185

WBC 5.2 K/uL
RBC 3.70 M/uL
HGB 11.9 G/dL
PLT 403 K/uL
ANC 3.4 K/uL

My doctor's appointment was completely uneventful today--just like we like it. My numbers are all in or close to the normal range. Dr. Bienvenu teased me for being disappointed that my numbers hadn't all reached completely normal levels. I can be a very competitive person, especially against myself. Weird, I know.

I've been having a problem getting my v-fend prescription filled the last few days. This is an anti-fungal pill that I have to have twice a day. It's much nicer than sporanox liquid and doesn't leave a disgusting after taste. It costs upwards of $2000.00 per prescription and this is the reason that I've been having problems. The insurance company was holding it up because of the cost, which I found strange, since I've been on it for 6 months and there's never been a problem before. I'll be completely out of it on Sunday, which upset Chris, so he called the doctor to see if I could make a substitution, while I called the insurance company.

While I tried to explain the situation to the customer service agent, who just could not understand what I was saying, Chris was talking to my PA. It was like banging my head against silly putty. Sometimes it bounced, sometimes it got stuck. Long, convoluted story short, my PA called my doctor and was told that I'd be discontinuing the v-fend next month, so I could just get a jump start and stop early. Imagine me trying to explain that to the customer service agent.

December should be an interesting month. For the first time in my adult life, I won't have to go to the mall or any satellite boutiques either to work or shop. Okay, it's not so much that I don't have to, but more so that I can't. Either way, it puts a smile on my face. No long lines, no crazy crowds, not to mention parking rage. I've also found out that I will definitely be stopping a number of medications that I've been taking for preventative measures. I haven't quite sorted out my feelings on this. On the one hand, it could mean that my doctors trust my immune system to do what it's supposed to, and on the other hand, it could mean that I am now wide open to catch a cold or virus. Maybe a little of both.

Aside from the EBV flare up, I haven't been generically "sick" in over a year. I had strep throat in October of 2006 and that's the last fundamental illness that I can remember. I'll probably think the world is coming to an end when I catch my first cold. Babies just look so miserable when they're not feeling well and I essentially have a 6 month old's immune system. We'll just have to wait and see.

Not to tempt fate, but life is pretty great right now. I feel really well and my bald patches aren't bothering me as much as I would have thought. I'm eating like I'll never see food again. I've got the baking bug and have been keeping Chris and Dixie stocked in sweets. I may get kicked off the island for this compulsion because we're all snackers. I've already had 4 pieces of peanut butter fudge today. I'm thinking about having a few more just to keep my strength up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Ann!!! That is wonderful news. And, you just eat to your heart's content!

Love and Prayers from out West.

Susan Carrier said...

Wow! These numbers are amazing!

pj said...

I'm with you--hooray for an excuse to avoid holiday shopping. If we have to be in this situation, at least we should enjoy a few perks!