Sunday, November 18, 2007

Day +173

I can't believe so much time has passed. I feel like I had my transplant yesterday.

I've been feeling a bit nostalgic for some of the comfort foods that I grew up on, so I ordered a few cookbooks to help me replicate a few of the dishes. For those of you who don't know, my mom is half Vietnamese and half Chinese. When I was ill as a child she'd make wonderful soups and other dishes involving rice and marinated and stewed meats. Unfortunately, none of the recipes are written down and the few times I tried to get my mom to tell me how to do it, she'd always say, "Oh, I don't know". Then she'd proceed to say you put a little of this and a little of that. No measurements, and after having tried one or two recipes, I discovered that she'd left things out. Very frustrating.

So, now I'm armed with two Vietnamese cookbooks and a huge Chinese one. I've only tried two recipes, but they came out just like I remembered. Chris and Dixie have been very good sports about it. I say this, because a few of the dishes can be a bit exotic for some tastes. I'm going to try another one today and then I might retire from cooking for a few days. This is just because I have to wash my hands so often, and I'm still suffering from the skin condition. It makes the skin on my hands very irritated. Mostly my fault, since I always forget to put on gloves when I'm doing food prep. I blame the chemo brain.

I've set a few goals for next week, one of which is to organize Dixie's enormous pantry. It's deeper than I can reach, and it's packed to the gills with a combination of "her's" and "our's". Since I'm not naturally an organized person, I can only blame the baby stem cells. I'm beginning to become obsessed with finding a place for everything. I find myself cruising sites offering boxes and bins for everything. I've also begun to get rid of things I don't use. If I haven't used it after X amount of time, I figured that I wouldn't use it anytime soon. This has gone a long way to reducing the amount of clutter I produce. Chris is a naturally neat person, so I know he must really love me to have put up with my mess for the last thirteen years. Luckily, the stem cells have made an intervention and I'm learning to mend my messy ways.

Equipped with the noted changes in my behavior and blood counts, Chris has deduced that somewhere out there is a kid who falls down a lot (attributed to the high platelet count), who likes to be neat and is very laid back. I was a type A personality before all of this. Very high strung about certain things. It's nice not to have to worry about the small things that used to stress me out.

Laren's present is moving along painfully slowly. I'm staring at the balls of yarn right now and I could swear that they haven't gotten any smaller. I think I'm going to have a mocktail when it's finally done. I have three other projects on needles right now that I'm not looking forward to picking up once I have finished the mystery gift.

That's it for today. I'm off to find a snack and another excuse for not picking up the knitting. :)

P.S. I'm sorry for the trouble people are encountering when trying to post a comment. I don't know what's going on, but hope it will be fixed soon. Please don't let it discourage you, since I love to read them. It's my secret addiction.

4 comments:

Renee said...

Hi Ann,

I'm super impressed with your cooking and organizing projects! I feel like such a slacker....

pj said...

It's good to have projects. Do you carom from one to the other or do you make lists? I make lists only so I don't foget what the projects are! I used to do quite a bit of Asian cooking when I lived in NYC due to the availability of the many great ethnic groceries. Do you know what brine shrimp is? Well, I used it once in a recipe and I guess I overdid it because the outcome was inedible. My husband and I still joke that it's the only bad meal I've ever made. And speaking of pantries, can I send you an almost full bottle of fish sauce?

Patricia

Carilou said...

Perhaps your baby stem cells are also Vietnamese hence the craving. Let us know what dish you made so I can try it myself. I am always looking for something new and delicious.
P.S. Like the hair.

Laren said...

try cooking the soups in a pressure cooker, then taking the knob off 2min after you take it off the fire. I've heard it can make the most beautiful meat fountain you've ever seen! (for 2 min at least)
Thank you for being so diligent on my presneenttt. I feel really special, annie.