Friday, November 23, 2007

Never been more thankful

Day +178

WBC 5.6 K/uL
RBC 3.65 M/uL
HGB 11.5 G/dL
PLT 450 K/uL
ANC 3.7 K/uL

Today was another trip to the hematologist and Ann's counts are still looking good. Our local doctor continues to say that Ann is the "most normal and healthy looking transplant patient he has ever seen". This time he went one step farther and told Ann that her blood counts are for all intents and purposes "normal", despite being a little below normal in the red blood cell and hemoglobin numbers. I'm not sure the transplant team at MDA would go as far as he did, but it's nice to hear someone in a white coat being positive.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and I have to honestly say that the meaning of that holiday has been wasted on me for the last 36 years of my life. Why? Because, I never had a concrete understanding of loss or fear. I don't want to say that I've had a sheltered life, but I was honestly as ignorant of the words "crisis" or "disaster", as a dinosaur 65 million years ago would have been when contemplating the fire ball created by a asteroid falling from the sky. That's certainly changed and I marvel over how far we have come in almost a year.

Yesterday as we sat down to a modest dinner I paused to reflect. Not just on how much I love my wife, but how fragile and precious life and love really are. The struggle to defend them is far more difficult than the vast majority of people realize. However, despite all the loss, fear and suffering we have been through in the last year, I have never been more thankful in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post. I know this Thanksgiving and all those in the future will have a very special meaning for both of you.

Love and Prayers from out West

Susan Carrier said...

"I have to honestly say that the meaning of that holiday has been wasted on me for the last 36 years of my life."

I hear you, Chris. It's only taken me 53 years.

Susan