Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Something fishy

Day +175

I did something today that just proves that I shouldn't try to do anything important immediately after waking up. All of my medicines are divided in a box that spaces them throughout the day for an entire week. I've been taking them for so long, sometimes I forget to look at the pills before I swallow them. This morning, I took most of my pills without looking, but for some reason I examined my Prograf pill. It's the size of a tic-tac and is banana yellow. This morning it was white which meant that it was double the dosage of my regular pill. I was still half asleep, so I took it without thinking about it.

The reason I have the white pills is because I had to have a high dosage right after my transplant. We still had some left over when my dosage was changed and so it was accidentally put into my case. When I mentioned it to Chris, he went into high gear. I had to call my PA and leave a message confessing what I had done.

Toby called me back while we were at the vet with Squeeze. Disclaimer: I was waiting in the car while Chris handled the appointment. As far as the "overdose" was concerned, she told me not to worry. The Prograf suppresses my immune system so that I don't reject my graft or vice versa. I'm supposed to be weaned from it next month.

Toby also informed me that my FISH test had finally come back. The results were negative. No leukemia, no cancer. I'm very grateful.

After Squeeze's appointment, Dr. Hackett came out to the car for a visit. It was really nice to see him again and I really enjoyed the visit. He's been our vet for quite some time and he has yet to ban us for our ill behaved kitties. They've maimed many vet techs and bitten both Drs. Hackett and Mitchell. I'll admit, I've met a few doctors that deserved to be bitten, so I can empathize with the kitties. Drs. Hackett and Mitchell don't fall into that category. I highly recommend them if you're looking for a new vet.

I discovered a small lump on Squeeze's back and was worried that she might be developing something sinister. I don't know if you'll remember, but she was very ill and under weight when we returned home the first time. The initial diagnosis at that time was that it was viral, but she was exhibiting signs of intestinal cancer. Dr. Mitchell ruled that out, but I couldn't help immediately jumping to conclusions when I felt the lump. The lump turned out to be an abscess that was drained and treated. We were also informed that it looks like her renal disease is progressing, and we've got a few treatment options that we need to consider.

I think it's going to be a an anxious week and I'm sure Squeeze will need a vacation from us when it's done. We have to keep up with how often she vomits, and the amount of water she's taking in, etc. I'm sure it's going to make her paranoid. I can totally sympathize with her. I hate it when people make those kinds of observations of me, but I know it's just because they're worried for me.

For the record, I'm eating like a line backer and my "skinny" pants are starting to fit which leads me to believe that they'll be snug in no time. My hair continues to get curlier with each passing day. You can't see it from the picture that was posted a few days ago, but the hair on top of my head actually stands straight up and curls straight back. I try to mash it down when I'm going out in public. I look manic when I let it do it's thing. Kind of like a demented teletubbie wearing a surgical mask.

We don't have anything else planned for the rest of the week, save for Friday. It's my weekly oncology visit. Hurray. I'm taking a break from cooking and other things inorder to finish some knitting, so I'm hoping for a nice quiet week.

Caroline, I made Bahn Bao and it actually turned out okay. They're like meat pies, only they're steamed. Let me know if you still want the recipe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy your results were negative, that you are feeling better and life is returning to normal. Have a wonderful, relaxing Thanksgiving. You have alot to be thankful for!!!

Love and prayers from out west!
A.

Paige said...

Happy Early Turkey Day, Ann and Chris! I'm so glad to hear all the great news!