Friday, November 16, 2007

The results are in

Day +171

WBC 6.2 k/uL
RBC 3.54 m/uL
PLT 427 k/uL
HGB 11.2 g/dL
ANC 4.5 k/uL

For some reason I developed amnesia on Wednesday and completely blocked my doctor's appointment from my mind. It was some time just before midnight on Thursday that I remembered that I had to be up and ready by 7am to make the drive into Baton Rouge fighting morning traffic all the way. My local oncologist hadn't been in touch with MDA, so he didn't know that I'd been hospitalized. He also didn't know that I'd contracted PTLD. I was reassured that he knew what it was. He joked with me about never doing anything the easy way. Tell me about it. From here on out, I will strive to live a vanilla lifestyle. No more crazy illnesses, please.

My numbers were mostly near normal. My hemoglobin and red blood cell counts continue to be low, but I'm not surprised. There are people who are two years out from their transplants that still can't maintain normal numbers. My baby stem cells continue to crank out platelets like crazy. Chris and I have a theory that making platelets is like finger painting for them. Imagine all of the refrigerator art hanging up inside me.

I also had to go to a local lab to get blood drawn for the CMV study that I took part in. I only have one more kit to turn in before I'm finished with it. I'll miss getting to see my research nurse, Marilyn, but I'm sure I can track her down the next time I'm at MDA.

So, I've been making dinner every night, except for Tuesday when we had take out. I'd like to think of this as a small accomplishment. The first time I tried to cook after we came home the first time, I had the shakes so bad, I thought that I might accidentally cut my hand off. Last night I helped Chris make sushi. Nancy, I promise it was vegetarian. No fish were harmed in the making of my dinner. It was the first form of sushi that I've had in a year and it was wonderful. I did manage to eat too much wasabi and spent the rest of the night sniffling, but it was well worth it.

Thanksgiving is coming up and for the first time in almost a decade, I won't be cooking the bulk of the dinner. I'm going to happily sit back and let Chris and Dixie do everything. I might volunteer to sit in the kitchen and look cute while they cook. I might have a nap. Who knows? The menu should be very interesting, and God bless Dixie, she shares my belief in multiple desserts. I hope to see quite a few to snack on over the weekend. I'm also excited that I'll finally have someone to share a pumpkin dessert with. For some very strange reason, Chris doesn't like pumpkin. Very strange indeed.

I've felt really well all week, save for the chemo brain. Every now and again I managed a moment of brilliance, only to stumble over something simple moments later. I'm not going to let it frustrate me. I know that my cognitive functions will slowly return. For now, I'm just going to sit back and relax. I suspect that the Rituxan is doing its job since I've gained four pounds since I started treatment. Yesterday, I managed to eat four large meals and a pint of ice cream. Today looks like it will be a repeat, except for the ice cream. Yes, I'm lactose intolerant and it's only gotten worse since the transplant, but you have to have your ice cream. I'm willing to suffer for the cause just to insure I get enough calcium. :)

Overall, it's been a very positive week. Chris spent an afternoon rearranging the sunroom so that I could do my own laundry. I did several loads yesterday and I'm sad to say that I loved it. I haven't folded any of it, but there's always this weekend.

6 comments:

Susan Carrier said...

Ann, I tried to post repeatedly on your last posting, but my intermittent Hotel Hope connection wouldn't let me. (Of course, I would always find out the connection wasn't working AFTER writing the post.)

At any rate, it sounds like your car has gone from "boring" to blissful in the blink of an eye.

I'm have sweet dreams of sushi tonight.

Susan

pj said...

Here's a fun little game to challenge your brain. I have no idea if it's legit or not (in terms of feeding the hungry), but you might find it fun:

www.freerice.com

Glad to hear you're feeling well enough to cook!

Patricia

Susan Carrier said...

You've hopefully figured out that I meant to write that your LIFE, not your CAR, has gone from boring to blissful.

Isn't there a law against commenting while under the influence of chemo?

Nancy said...

Hi Ann, (and Susan, I also have chemo brain-damage and couldn't figure out what you were talking about. I thought I missed something about Ann having car problems... whew... also, I encountered the same problem in trying to post a comment to Ann's blog last week ) Ann, you knew what I'd say about the sushi... thanks for letting me know that nothing was raw. Great Counts again!!! Please stay away from dirty laundry (sorry, Chris). You can fold the clean pile! Okay, keep on keepin on...
love, nancy

Paige said...

EEEEWWWWWWW... laundry. Last night I worked from 7pm until 4am doing a floor set at American Eagle (basically rearranging the entire store). Needless to say, I'm NOT looking forward to doing my own laundry today... :P

Ann said...

Susan, I know just how you feel. I spent twenty minutes trying to describe something to Dixie because I couldn't remember the object's name. Turned out it's called a laundry hamper. Who knew?
Paige, I remember floorsets. I am so sorry. As soon as you're done with one, there's always an update. Also, if I ever go missing you'll get the blame. Of course, they'll be able to find me wandering the crystal store...