Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Day +182

We had a bit of a scare Monday night. Just as we began eating dinner, Dixie began choking on something. Chris performed the Heimlich and I called 911. While waiting for paramedics, she complained that she felt a burning sensation in her throat and that it still felt like something was lodged there. For those of you that have kept up with the blog, you know that something similar happened a few months ago. She's had difficulty swallowing for a few months and doctors haven't been able to give her a reason.

I had to isolate myself in one of the bedrooms when the paramedics arrived, so I can only tell you what happened second hand. Dixie's heart rate and blood pressure were dangerously high and she was still having trouble with her throat. She was taken to the hospital with Chris right behind her. The ER doctor believes that the stricture in her throat closed, trapping food and causing her esophagus to spasm in an effort to get the food down. The burning sensation was stomach acid trapped in her esophagus. At some point in the hospital, the stricture relaxed and Dixie was able to swallow some liquids. She was released and brought home in one piece.

For the first time in quite a while, I was able to worry about someone else, hovering annoyingly over Dixie and asking questions every few minutes. She's much better now and I am very grateful just to be able to give her a hug.

Chris had a dentist appointment and for those of you who know him know what a milestone that was. I will confess to being one of those people who loves the dentist. It doesn't hurt that mine are really great. I love having my teeth cleaned and the words "root canal" don't bother me. Also had quite a few of those. I've been able to nap during procedures and know that this marks me as a freak. Chris, on the other hand, has only been to the dentist once since I've known him. I know this has a lot to do with his pediatric dentist and it really is a shame that some people can just scar you for life.

He has a few cavities and needs to have a root canal and his teeth cleaned. This will all be done under conscious sedation next month. Chris is really anxious around dentists. He also gets to have Valium. Needless to say, he is not looking forward to any of this. I'm jealous because I haven't been able to have my teeth cleaned this year. I'm going to see if I can badger my doctor into letting me get it done locally, instead of having it done by the dental oncologist at MDA. I am a freak, I know.

My skin continues to be dry and I don't really think it's getting any better. In addition to this, my hair has started to fall out again. It started with my eyebrows getting thinner, and then most of my lower lashes fell out. The hair on the top of my head is noticeably thin, with intermittent bald patches. It's not like the first two times all of my hair fell out. This has been more gradual and frustrating. I'm fairly certain that this is a result of the Rituxan treatment. It has a half-life of something like six months, so it will be swirling around in my body for a little while longer. Maybe this time my hair will come back in a different color--other than white, please.

It's been pretty quiet, otherwise. I finished knitting Laren's present and just have to block it so that it stops curling up on itself. I spent some time looking through books for my next project, swearing to Dixie that I would find something more challenging than a scarf. About an hour later, I started knitting myself a scarf. Go figure. In my defense, I get cold easily now that I'm post transplant and I haven't knit anything for my self. This is true if you discount the hat I knit this summer. I think I misread the instructions, so it ended up being much smaller than it should have. It is stretchy and I can get it on my head, but it really is sized for a small child.

I have my weekly blood draw on Friday and other than that, there are no concrete plans for the rest of the week.

3 comments:

Paige said...

Wow, I'm so glad Dixie is ok. Gosh, all this drama... Just as things were starting to calm down! I think God is just trying to keep you on your toes. :)

Susan Carrier said...

I'm so relieved to hear that Dixie is now OK. I hope the doctors can find out why this is happening.

Ann, I'm with you on the dentist. I had made an appointment to have my teeth cleaned on the day that I was admitted for my ASCT. My NP advised me to cancel it, but I refused. I just warned the hygenist to "go gentle"

Susan

Tina said...

so happy to hear that Dixie is doing well after that scare. And if it was possible to feel anymore impressed with the superman chris, it happened after reading this blog.