Sunday, February 18, 2007

A rainy night

2/18/07 Day 39

Something exciting did happen last night. Around 10pm I heard water running in the apartment. I thought that I had forgotten to turn a faucet off and went off to investigate. I started in the bathroom and couldn't see any running water, so I naturally assumed that the toilet was running. As I walked over to investigate, I felt water falling onto my head. There was water streaming from the vent in the ceiling. Our upstairs neighbors left something running and weren't at home to do something about it. We were freaked out because we didn't know what the source of the water was--could have been the toilet, could have been the tub. The place we're staying at actually has maintenance on call 24/7. They contacted us immediately. The water stopped and we heard them stomping around upstairs. They wanted to come in to tear out the sheetrock in the ceiling, but they'll have to wait until I'm admitted into the hospital before they start any construction. It was a fun night.

I've decided that I must be pretty special, because I got not one, not two, but three visits this weekend. Dixie, Chris's mom, drove in from Baton Rouge to visit and she brought food--food is always a welcome surprise. This is especially true when you've been eating out of a can for a month due to your neutropenia. It's always nice to have her, even without food bribes :). I know she's very busy at home taking care of things for us and working and taking care of her own life, so it's especially nice when she has time to come for a hello.
My cousin from California surprised me by calling and saying that he had just flown in. He and his wife and kids surprised us with a visit. I haven't seen them in over two years and it was a wonderful surprise. I felt really bad because another friend and her child came with them, but one of them had a cough so they had to wait in the car. My blood counts still aren't high enough to be around someone with a cold. If you read this, I am really, really sorry. I owe you guys dinner when I can be around crowds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A platelet of your very own. I'm delighted. Pick a good name for it. BTW, I've been that apartment maintenance man. I really hate the early morning flood outs. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers - Wiley+