Saturday, February 17, 2007

Arts and Crafts

2/17/07 Day 38

I had lab today and got some good news. Martha Stewart that I am, I made a platelet. A whole platelet! My platelet count on Thursday was 27 and today I was at 28. The reason that I'm excited about it is because my body is doing it on its own, not because of a transfusion. Chris, engineer that he is, has made graphs and rate curves of my progress. According to the graphs, it looks like I'm recovering from this round of chemo faster. We are nerds. You all knew that.

All of my other counts looked good, so I didn't need a transfusion. This was a relief, because some friends from Baton Rouge were coming for a visit. Susan and Fred got here around noon and it was wonderful to see them. I didn't get a chance to tell Susan before I went into the hospital and she's been on my mind a lot. They both looked great and it was a treat to get to visit. I got to see pictures of the grandbaby and I have to say, she is so beautiful it's hypnotic. We forgot to take pictures, so we had a professional sketch artist come up with something.






They are much more attractive in real life and don't have blue hair and skin. :) That's what you get when you pay an artist with candy.

On another note, I have a side effect from the chemo that I haven't really talked about. It started after the first round of chemo and it's not that noticeable unless you want me to fill out a form. Both of my hands have a fine tremor. When I'm tired, or when I've been pushing myself, the shakes get worse. I dread being presented with clinical forms because I have such a hard time holding a pen and writing. Combine the tremble with the fact that my fingertips are all numb. I can't really feel myself holding the pen and when I go to write it looks like a three year old got into the crayons. I had to develop a certain style of print for my college major in order to be able to letter plans and blueprints. Now I can barely sign my name. Chris had a hard time depositing a check for me because the signature didn't look like the one on file. This is one of the most frustrating parts of having to deal with my treatment. I've pretty much given up on writing. Chris, my sweet love, is nice enough to do the writing for me--because I make him! :)

A note for Chari: I heard that you are horribly ill and got sent home from work. Get better soon--because I said so. I hope you're feeling better. I'll give you a few more days to recoup before I pester you with phone calls. ;)~

I got a care package from my brother yesterday. It was filled with dvds and I can't wait to watch them. It will give me something to do in the hospital next week.

I have Sunday and Monday off, so I should be able to finish season one of Heroes. How did I miss this show? It's brilliant! I'm talking total mind candy. Chris keeps urging me to make a reference to an inside joke involving Arrested Development. I don't think most everyone would get it, so I'm reserving judgement for now. If anything comes up, I'll post it. Chris will probably be doing most of the updating for the next week since I'll be in lock up. Maybe I'll get my mind right and the man will let me out. Cool hand Luke ref. But seriously, maybe I'll get a real toilet for good behavior. There are only so many times you can pretend to be camping.

No comments: