Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Lights, Camera, Action

DAY 49

Today did not start out well. I woke up with massive amounts of bone pain. Normally, I have bone pain in one or two spots and it is manageable with my pain medications. This morning I had it in my femurs, knees, spine, hips, and ankles all at once. I generally only take one pain pill and maybe twice a day at it's worst. I had to max out on them this morning. I'm feeling better now, but I'm worried since I've resumed my neupogen shots. The neupogen stimulates my marrow, hence, bone pain.

I've been nauseated all day and didn't manage to keep down a banana. In addition to that, I can't keep my temperature up. Chris made me bundle up in bed, which was fine by me, since I feel so rotten. Top it all off with a stomach ache, and it's no school for me.

We have an appointment with the transplant doctor today. I'm pretty sure that we know that I didn't have any BMT matches. I've been reading articles on transplants and cord blood options to get ready. It's hard to decipher the trash from the fact. If you have minority friends, urge them to get HLA typed. It only takes a minute and they only have to do a cheek swab. There are too many people in need and not enough minorities registered. I had no idea that my ethnic background would have such a huge impact on my chances of getting a BMT. It's not one of the things you consider on a day to day basis.

I'll post the results of our visit when we get back this afternoon. Cross your fingers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ann- good to see and hear you. Many thanks to Chris for setting up this communication link.