Monday, February 26, 2007

Better today

Day 47

Okay, I stopped vibrating around the apartment. I feel much better this time around than I did the first time I did this chemo. This isn't saying a whole lot, since I felt so bad the first time. We've figured out that I'm staying hydrated and we think that helps. I still have the shakes, but the numbness in my fingers is getting less noticeable. Maybe I'll finally be able to learn how to knit. Look out, you're all getting wonky scarves for every gift receiving opportunity. I hope you all like yarn. Alot. Seriously.
Here's a picture of me leaving the hospital. Notice the barf bucket. I managed to throw up everyday in the hospital. I think it was the accomodations. ;) It did tend to make the nurses nervous. We did figure out that one of the older cheaper nausea IV meds helped more than the $2000 a bag Zofrain. What they charge for medicine is obscene. If you get bored, look up how much my Neupogen shots cost. I could retire to Cuba with a house full of pool boys for what that costs.

I discovered that I've developed some psychosomatic symptoms this last time in the hospital. I start to gag when I think of sporanox--you would too if you ever had to take it. I convinced Chris to taste some yesterday and he swears that the aftertaste is still there. I can't swallow pills like I used to. They get caught at the back of my throat and make me gag. This has never been a problem before. I really don't want to have to fight to take my medicine. I know that I need these things to give me the best chance possible to stay healthy. I just can't seem to convince my brain, though.
The above picture is of all the meds I have to take each day.

Another weird side effect, or what have you, is that I constantly crave red meat. I can't have a medium rare steak like I would love, but I can have roast beef sandwiches. I constantly want them. I wonder if it has anything to do with my low red blood cell counts. It makes an interesting argument for vampirism. When this is all done and I am well, I am going to eat the biggest steak that I can lay my hands on. No stinking vegetables, just meat, baby and maybe some butter. We'll see.

The tangy feeling is back. Prevention mouthwash helps a lot. I will forever be grateful to Heather for sending that one over. There's nothing like trying to eat when lemonhead warfare is going off in your mouth.

I finally got my Luperon shot. Menopause here I come. That's the funny thing about cancer. Your body goes through so many physical changes. You get the loss of muscle tone and chicken legs topped off by a mostly rounded doughy paunch to punctuate you're skinny butt. Add induced menopause and it's a Victoria's Secret swimsuit layout for the ages. I won't let this stop me from donning a bikini when Chris and I skip the country to avoid paying our medical bills. St. Croix, here we come.
That's enough rambling for me.

No comments: