Happy Valentine's Day to everyone out there. We're sending out hugs to everyone.
This means there are fewer days until Mardi Gras and that means another year without king cake. I know they celebrate Mardi Gras in Galveston, but I still haven't seen a king cake. Since the nutritionist told me that I should eat whatever I feel like I can within reason, I don't worry about the carbs. Enough of my love affair with king cakes.Yesterday, when we arrived home from the hospital, it was close to 9PM. When we walked through the door, we found a Valentine's gift basket on our kitchen table along with a fedex package from the group Asians For Mircle Marrow Matches who may be able to help find a marrow donor. Our first thought was, "Who would break in to leave a present?" Nothing was missing, but our apartment complex doesn't just let themselves in without prior notice. We checked with them today just to be sure and they told us that it was probably the church group that owns the apartment. If it was, that was very nice and we owe them a "Thank you."
Today we saw the gynecologist. This was a first for Chris. He handled it very well, but as an engineer he was fascinated by the equipment in the room. I guess girls are just used to seeing it. The whole point of the visit was to discuss the future possibility of having children. Chemotherapy renders 50% of patients infertile after treatment. Recipients of a bone marrow transplant are almost guaranteed that they will be infertile. The chemo for a bone marrow transplant is so much more intense than a regular regimen. It's just one of those things that you have to live with.
The doctor was very nice and very forthcoming. Normally, people go in before starting treatment to have eggs harvested or to have invitro in order to freeze an embryo. Because of the nature of my cancer, I had to start treatment immediately. We did ask my leukemia doctor about preserving eggs during our first visit and she told us that we didn't have time and that treatment would start that day.
The gynecologist told me that I was a puzzle since I was in the middle of treatment. She's setting us up with a fertility specialist at Baylor to discuss options. There is one treatment that she mentioned that involves me getting an injection monthly to make my body think that it is in menopause. The idea is that metabolic functions of the ovaries would be slowed to the point that they wouldn't be as affected by the chemotherapy. It's not a guarantee, but it is an option.Another option that was mentioned was a bit different. They remove one of your ovaries and freeze it for after you complete treatment. The thought is that they'll be able to preserve follicles. After treatment the ovary is implanted back into your body, but not in it's original position. It seems that they put it in your arm. I would feel like I had to wear arm guards and PPE to be sure it didn't get damaged. It's a strange idea for me to wrap my head around. Whatever it takes.
My eyesight continues to improve. One thing that does worry me is that I was farsighted and have a prescription for reading glasses. Since my eyes opened on Tuesday I've noticed that I can read print just fine without my glasses, but I can't read print from a distance like I used to be able to. I'm hoping that my eyes just got lazy during their little vacation. I'll talk to the opthamalogist tomorrow (or will I?). My leukemia appointment is at 9:40 and my eye appointment is at 10. I don't feel like I can miss another eye appointment.
I did promise a post on the chicken legs. All of my life I have had chubby legs. I'm not just saying it. People who have seen my baby pictures know it's true. To get pants that fit my thighs meant that the waist was too big. It was just a fact of life. Since my diagnosis, my weight has been fluctuating. Overall, I've lost 15 pounds. Some weeks I lose a few more pounds, some weeks I put on a few. Anyhow, leukemia is the worst diet ever. I've lost muscle mass everywhere. When viewed from behind, my butt looks like two saltines attached to pretzels. My thighs no longer overlap--girls, you know what I'm talking about, and my calves are much smaller. They are truly chicken legs. The upside is that I can finally wear track suits without worrying that my thighs look big. The downside is carrying two 20 ounce sodas gives me the shakes. I'll be seeing a physical therapist before all of this is done.
The good news in all of this is that after receiving multiple bags of blood and platelets, I feel much better. I was able to walk all day without a wheelchair. I find that the more I walk, the better I feel about everything. It gives me something closer to normal. My hair has started to fall out again which is a relief. It's weird being partially bald. My appetite is closer to normal. I'm sure that there are other good things that I am forgetting.
Big hugs and kisses to everyone. We miss you all very much. 35 days behind us. We're that much closer to coming home. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment