Wednesday, November 26, 2008

On Monday I had to be re-evaluated during physical therapy. Sadly, my leg muscles have atrophied a little. I was told that this would probably happen when I started steroids. My therapist went through a series of tests where I would have to resist her pushing on my feet, knees, and thighs. By no means was she exerting herself, but I couldn't manage to push back. On the flip side, I managed to improve all of my other stats significantly.

I also found out that I need to bump up my magnesium intake on the same day. As you all know, I get a daily IV infusion of magnesium in addition to what I take orally. I was taking 4000mg, so I bumped up to 6000mg. I was actually feeling a little smug about it. That's twelve 500mg pills all in one sitting. Today, I was informed that my magnesium levels had dropped. I couldn't believe it! My APN let me know that they reduced the amount of magnesium in my IV infusions to see if I could get my levels up by myself. Apparently not.

As far as I know, this is the only thing tethering me to the ATC. If I can get my levels up to normal levels, then I won't need infusions and won't have to go in for treatment. I've decided to bump myself up to 10,000mg of magnesium today. I just took twenty 250mg magnesium pills and plan on taking another twenty in a few hours. There's one side effect to taking all of this magnesium. Think Milk of Magnesia. Good times.

On that note: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Magnesium- you really kick my butt in the number of mag pills you are taking. I have never heard of so many pills taken. Wow, I am impressed.

Happy Thanksgiving Ann and Chris,
Lea