Monday, November 10, 2008

It's been a long day and I'm really tired, so this is going to be a short one.

I had my regular appointments today and those all went well. I also had an appointment with the GvHD clinic. The long and the short of it is that I am definitely presenting with signs of chronic GvHD of the joints. I've been taking steroids since last Friday and will continue to do so for the next few months. The diagnosis on my facial rash was a bit more ambiguous. It might be, it might not be. That's how it happened last time.

I also had a meeting with a nurse about diabetes education. The steroids might make me temporarily diabetic, so I'll have to test my insulin levels multiple times throughout the day. I've been prescribed an insulin pen just in case I need to start injecting myself. It's only been the first day, so I can't really say what will happen. My pharmD suspects that I will become diabetic based on today's readings. I'm annoyed to say the least as this is just one more ritual I have to remember.

I'll post more in the next few days, but right now, I'm just too worn out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann, you have every right to be annoyed about the potential with the diabetes. Yucky. The steroid/immunosuppressant combo has given me high blood pressure and I think with every new drug we take we might need to take even more to deal with those side effects.
I know a pen to self inject is no fun and yet another thing to worry/learn about.
You are such a rockstar- keep on going because I did not hear the word "leukemia" in any of your post!!!!
xo-lea

Susan C said...

Ann, Thanks for keeping us updated, even when you're feeling exhausted.

Lea's right. Everything, especially the possibility of being diabetic, sound terribly annoying, but they sure beat leukemia.

Jim said...

Rest, vent, fight ... We know this gets old for you, Ann. Prayers, prayers and more prayers for continued healing.

Jim

Nancy said...

Hi Ann, Get some rest. All this is exhausting.... I'm sorry about the meds possibly making you diabetic, but I agree with the rest of them. It's the lessor of the evils... love you lots. Stay strong, think positive, and keep fighting girl!!! love ya, nancy

PJ said...

Hope you had a restful night, Ann. You're a battleground right now but hey, you're winning and that's what counts. xo

Samantha MacRae said...

Hi Ann,

Graham too has become diabetic because of the steroids. I didn't realise this was a possible side-effect and couldn't belive he had to add another ritual to the mix!

Sam xx