Saturday, November 15, 2008

I've started to develop that delicious moonpie face that is a result of taking steroids. The chipmunk has landed.

My skin and joint GvH seem to be getting under control. I find my joints are more flexible and less painful.

The team continues to be concerned about my liver numbers. The trend continues to go up. As a precaution, I've been taken off of one of my antifungals to see if this might be the culprit versus GvHD of the liver. If it does turn out to be the medication, this would be the first time that it's given me problems since I started taking it almost 2 years ago. The team is going to check my numbers on Monday to see if there has been any improvement.

If my numbers continue to trend upward, then I'll have a liver biopsy to confirm GvHD. The next step would be photopheresis to get it under control. It would involve being hooked up to a machine for hours at a time while my cells are circulated out of my body and treated with light therapy, then replaced. That's just a rough description. There's a lot more to it than that.

I'm still getting used to checking my glucose and all of the new meds. The steroids keep me up at night, so sleep has become something of a fantasy. I can manage 2 or 3 hours before I'm wide awake waiting for morning. If I'm really lucky, I can manage a 30 minute nap during the day. I've got a prescription to help me sleep, but it doesn't do much and I don't want to be on anything stronger.

I plan on vegging for the next two days, so things will probably be quiet around here.

4 comments:

Susan C said...

"The chipmunk has landed."

You're so funny, Ann! I forgot to write how strong you look in the photos Chris recently posted.

Rest well this weekend.

Ronni Gordon said...

Have you tried my favorite drug, Ativan, for sleep? It's not really prescribed for sleep, but it always helped me. Sorry you're going through all this extra stuff. Ditto what Susan said: Throughout it all, you're very funny! I'm sure that's good for your health. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Okay, the good part of the chipmunk cheeks is that for me it always took away any wrinkes because my face expanded so much. But you, with your gorgeous skin, don't have any to begin with.

I am with Ronni on the Ativan- it was my sleeping drug of choice:)!

Thanks for the updates. I am sure you don't always feel like writing.

You are doing so well,
Lea

Anonymous said...

Are y'all doing anything for Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving dinner always leads to a nap.

I don't have leukemia but I'm right with you on not being able to sleep and feeling puffy all over and having a pain in my joints and guts. Yesterday starts my 6 week coundown until the bambino is supposed to arrive.

-Carilou