Friday, September 26, 2008

I had my triple lumen CVC exchanged for a double lumen CVC this morning and just to make things interesting, they didn't sedate me. Believe me, I feel like I've been stung in the chest by a nest full of hornets on top of being kicked by a mule. Those IV nurses certainly have a sense of humor.

My APN delivered a bit of devastating news to me today and I was not pleased. If I don't start consuming more solid food and liquid, they will not let me out on Sunday. I made the argument that being trapped in a hospital room was wreaking havoc with me psychologically and that if I were released, that they'd see improvement. They weren't having it. You try eating from the same menu for over a month and see how you do. I know my friend Nancy was in the hokey for over 80 days and I don't know how she managed it.

Yesterday, I gave the team another scare when I went for a walk and ended up back in my room with a tight chest and the absolute inability to breathe. In my defense, my hemoglobin was 6.9 and that's critical. I received a unit of blood, but I don't think it was enough. There was talk of putting me on oxygen and holding me for observation. If I have to make a shiv out of my disposable stethoscope to get out of here on Sunday, you better believe I'll figure it out.

8 comments:

Ronni Gordon said...

I was in a couple of times for weeks. I've kind of lost track. I think the first long stay was six weeks. I felt like I was growing into the bed! But I felt safe there and then found it hard to leave. I understand wanting to get out, but maybe you should just sit back for now and enjoy, if that's the right word, having all those nice nurses just a buzzer away. Can you watch some movies? Do have have a good book? You'll be out before you know it.

PJ said...

I spent a night in a hospital in San Jose, Costa Rica (for back surgery) and they asked me the next day at lunch if I'd like a glass of chardonnay with my chicken breast and steamed veggies. Yes, please.

Start tying the bedsheets together ...

Susan C said...

Oh, my! 6.9 hemoglobin is devastatingly low.

Hoping for rising hemo and surging appetiite. I made a lot of meals out of canned tuna, boiled egg and packages of relish, mayo and mustard. It was the only way I could make something that was actually edible.

susiegb said...

I know exactly what you mean about eating from the same menu! when I was in hospital at first the menu seemed wonderful, but pretty soon I'd had everything I thought sounded good and just to see it coming back week after week - well it certainly helped me lose weight! I remember friends used to bring food in and I just lived for that!! Plus the fact that you could make toast in a little kitchen - I lived on toast and peanut butter!!

Hang in there - when you get out it will all recede into the background and seem like a bad dream!! :)

Nancy said...

Hi Ann, I have to agree with everybody's comments! Patience, my dear. I'm the most impatient person, but I forced myself to learn patience and just took it one day at a time. No need to tell you, it paid off "big time." So, I'm sorry, I don't think you should "rush" outta there. It will happen, in due time, then you'll really be able to enjoy your so called "freedom." You'll feel good about it and so will your docs and nurses!! : )

Just to entertain myself, everyday I watched game shows and imagined myself as a contestant. I imagined myself spinning the big wheel on "The Price is Right." It came true, too!!! I know it sounds dumb, but I had to do anything to keep myself sane in there! YOU CAN DO IT! I'm behind you all the way!!! love ya, n

Jim said...

Ann,

You will be out of there soon enough. An extra day or two, though it may seem like an extra month, can be a very good thing. Slow and steady wins the race. Hang in there, tough girl.

Paige said...

Yay, you're engrafted!!!
I'm glad to hear your mouth sores are getting better, and that you guys made out ok for Ike.
You should definitely take Chris on a picnic and fly a kite. Seriously, when's the last time you flew a kite?

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping for Sunday release. Can you chew up your food and spit it in the toilet like we did when we were kids?
Carilou