Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Dr. Kebriaei stopped in for a visit yesterday and resolved our confusion over the missing ATG. It was basically what Chris wrote in his last post. Essentially, they just want to be sure that I engraft and don't have a failure.

This conditioning regimen is vastly different from the last time I did a transplant. I've just been getting fludarabine and busulfan since Saturday. My appetite has just started declining to the point that I'm eating quarter portions at best. If I can remember to get something for nausea, I can manage to eat a little more. The only problem with this is that I end up passing out from the anti-emetics. The last time around, I was throwing up almost immediately and felt fairly wilted from the get go. This time, things are moving in that direction slowly.

I asked Dr. Andersson about this and he explained that this chemo regimen is designed to destroy a cell's ability to reproduce. Essentially, they can't make any more and just die off. His experience is that I will feel the cumulative effects of the chemo 5 or 6 days after the transplant. I can buy that based on how I've been feeling. I'm imagining being slammed all at once with that yucky "chemo" feeling and I'm not looking forward to it.

While I'm still feeling relatively alright, we do laps around the pods to keep my lungs in shape and when I can remember to, I do my incentive spirometer exercises. Aside from these little excursions there's not much else going on. I've watched more television in the last 4 days, than I can remember. I've been doing a little mindless knitting and promise to post pictures of finished projects as soon as we get out of here. Sadly, the books that I brought to pass the time are sitting in a bag collecting that strange white dust that is unique to hospital rooms.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

helo ann and chris.

sorry to hear bout your yuckiness feeling after the chemo. but glad that you still manage to work out, even a little.

hope that both of you will stay strong and be able to beat this.

nora

Susan C said...

I'm a voracious reader, but I didn't have the focus for books while I was on chemo. I'd read the same paragraph over and over again. It got embarrassing.

Glad to hear that you're doing "alright." I hope there's good stuff on TV.

Love,Susan