Day +10 (D 148)
Sometimes its really difficult finding a theme for a blog post when we have days like today, when almost nothing happened. I don't mean that literally. I mean me and Ann where not frozen in carbonite throughout the duration of the day, just nothing of substantial note actually occurred.
I have written over the last several days about Ann's WBC count being 0.1 K/uL, having bone pain and her needing occasional transfusions. Check, for all of those today. How often can you write what seems like the same thing over and over? I know we have to wait for the stem cells to do their job and work their way all the way to the end of the homeopathic cascade before they get to be white blood cells, but it's frustrating for both of us.
Ahh...I appear to have unwittingly uncovered the theme of today's blog post with out realizing it. Oh curse you creative writing!
My lovely wife has pointed out that I am something of a cultural drift net so all this talk of waiting and being frustrated has apparently sparked a memory from my childhood of watching David Carradine on Kung Fu. I can still see Caine standing in front of the venerable Master Khan asking when he can leave the temple. To which the response was "When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave".
The lesson is of course that patience is required for anything worth accomplishing. Of course what Masters Khan and Po forgot to tell Caine was that you also need love. The more the better because it helps fill the dark, scary and lonely places and gives you hope while you learn to wait patiently.
Funny, I was never a big fan of Kung Fu and alway considered it more than slightly stereotypical. I suppose I just never appreciated it's philosophical elements...go figure.
3 comments:
Dear Chris and Ann, I understand the virtue of patience. People cannot understand how we can "just wait" for the appointments, the tests, the test results, you know the drill... It is amazing what patience we have learned during the cancer journey--me, the countrol freak mother, my husband, the type-A workaholic dad, and of course, the patient patient, the 24 year old who is just used to getting on with it.
Keep up the patience and of course keep the love flowing. Its what makes life worth living. :)
You both have the patience of a saint! Keep on doing what you're doing. Much love...
Hi Ann and Chris,
I stumbled upon your blog yesterday. I went to the begining to hear your story. I can relate to your situation because I do chromosome studies. I am familiar with AML and had a case of t(4;11). I have never heard what happens from the patient's prospective when we have to deliver our findings to the clinician. My heart goes out to you. I pray that your transplant is successful. May God keep both of you in his care.
Post a Comment